NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon 600D or 650D?

Xplode

Hey

Today i'm using a 450D for astrophotography which works ok, but i'd like to upgrade to a camera that can be used at iso 1600 without too much noise and that is more sensitive,

So far i have read some tests and have found out that 650D has a little more noise than the 600D, but i wonder if the 650D could be more sensitive?

Does anyone here have experience with both these cameras taht could tell me if it would be worth it to buy the 650D instead of the 600D?

I also have a 600D & when i was trying to decide i did find a web page where someone had tested DSLR's from 350D up to 1100D, the 600D did very well in the noise department at varios iso settings, i cannot help on sensitivity. The 60D is weathered sealed, faster burst mode & a few other differences i cant remember :-), the 60D is at least £150.00 dearer as well.

Both are good cameras but their differences for astrophotography probably would not be a lot, sorry i can't help more.

Check here >>>>>>>>>>> http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-600d-vs-Canon_EOS_60D

The 650D has phase detection sensors on the main sensor, so that would likely eat into the imaging light collection unless they're dual purpose. I haven't seen the difference between them was really significant, so I think the choice between them is if you need or want the new features added to the 650D. If it's just for astrophotography, the 600D would do as well for less.

I can't comment on the performance of the 600D personally, but have recently purchased a 650D and have found the noise to be quite manageable even at ISO6400. Here's a couple of shots I've taken - I'm not great at image processing, so only basic adjustments and noise reduction have been made using Paint Shop Pro.

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/ - M81 & M82 through a 4" refractor

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream - Milky Way & other widefield shots (30s, ISO6400 exposures)

The reviews I read before making the purchase suggested there was very little difference image quality & noise level wise between the 600D and 650D. The choice probably comes down to whether the new functionality on the 650D is of interest to you (I have to admit I, and other family users like the touch screen and other new additions, especially for daytime use).

One important point to be aware of though is that the crop movie function present on the 600D that is useful for high magnification lunar and planetary astroimaging is not available on the 650D (despite the Canon website originally saying it was). I hoped to use this function, but Canon have advised me that only if there is sufficient requests from 650D users will they issue a firmware update to put this functionality back in. :-(

I upgraded from an Olympus E-420, and found the much reduced noise levels and sensitivity in the 650D a massive leap forward. I don't expect you'll see the same jump in quality from the 450D, but I'm sure that you'll be impressed by either camera nonetheless.

Gordon

I found a used 600D 18-135 kit with original Canon battery and battery grip for a pretty good price, if i sell the extras i should have a very cheap 600d :)

I think it will be a pretty hugh difference from a 450D, QE on the 450D is 30% and on the 600D 40% and the noise on higher iso value is much lower, iso 1600 on the 450D is pretty bad :(

I have a 650d, the reason i bought it was the touch screen which i have to say is BRILLIANT. The other reason which the 600d also has was the flippy out screen, an absolute boon to someone like me who has trouble bending to look through the viewfinder.

So far I am am well pleased with its performance.

Archived