NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Deionised water for cleaning primary?

Hi PS,yep i`m sure ,i have used this for two years on all my optics that get washed.

I use tap water and a drop of fairy ,after i have rinsed first with the shower ,with luke warm water,i then finish off with a good rinse with r/o,a couple of ltrs.

I have no scientific knowledge,but if its good enough for me goldfish,nuff said.

To date i have not seen any degredation in the mirrors i use r/o water on.

If you search the forum`s this topic gets disscussed regularly,and it seems there is a lot of confusion about type`s of water,i offfer this option as nothing more than an inexpensive method,you use it at your OWN RISK! That said i use this fluid on very costly glass and do not see any prolems,hope this helps.

ATB

Mike

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you are all getting a little obsessed with purity of water!

As long as the debris is removed, it's all about getting the water off the surface before it dries, simply add a drop of "wetting agent" to the final rinse and the water will run off.

You can get this from a photographic shop if you MUST spend money (and this hobby is obsessed with paying... ;)) or a drop of washing up liquid will do it.. And I mean ONE drop!

Sent using Tapatalk

Oh and to clarify, the "filter" in Reverse Osmosis has pores on the scale of the water molecules, so water can pass through under pressure (Hence the reverse osmosis) but anything larger can't.

i did think of that as I have a de-humifiier but surely it's got to contain lots of other impurities?

Carol

Yep I've seen a slight oil contamination floating on the water surface occasionally must have made it's way down from the fan motor bearings.

Archived