NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Volunteers wanted for Dark Sky event at Garwnant

valleyman

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to the "Dark Sky Wales" observing session earlier last night and met with Allen Trow & Owain.

They put a lot of effort into this event, which is essentially a workshop designed to inspire young people and others to take interest in the Science's. A state of the art Digital Planetarium was set up with its inflatable dome inside the Visitors Centre. There were a couple of Dobs ( 8" & 12" I think ?) and a Binocular on tripod for the visitors to look through. These were set up in the courtyard between the buildings, which seemed to give good shelter and made for a comfortable place to observe. There was also a presentation talk in the Cafe. Toilet facilities were just a 30 second walk away, with outside access. Allen, Owain, and team members provided a warm welcome to the visitors. The site is a nice place to observe, however, the horizons are limited by the surrounding trees. Would I go back again, absolutely !

You can find out more at... www.darkskywales.org

Hi Pat,

Missed you at the meet. There was a good responce to the event, at least a dozen folks showed up during the short time I was there. The facilities were first class, and I think nicely situated for group observing; I iked the Cafe. The only concern would be if some of the lights could be selectively turned off.

Hope you feel better soon Pat.

Archived