SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Finder Scope Frost Shield

andyc277

I am after some confirmation from the DIY gods. I was out making sure the stars hadn't fallen down in about -2degC. After about an hour my Finder scope front lens had frozen over, main scope was fine. Would a foam/plastic cover around the end solve the problem? If so what sort of length? Ive had a look at Dew Shields etc and I think what I have seen and read would solve the problem.

When I first started using my 9x50 finder I found it would fog up so I made a shield by sandwiching sheets of black paper and bubble-wrap together. I found that an A5 sheet would wrap around the finder nicely with a bit of an overlap where I used a glue stick (Pritt-stick) to glue the ends of the paper together. Two wraps of paper followed by one of bubble-wrap followed by two of paper. Thin card would work better than paper as even with those layers it's a bit flimsy. Alternatively, neoprene foam would work. Either way, I haven't had a problem with dew since :smiley:

Archived