Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pesky Neighbour.

pixelsaurus

I'm kind of amazed that this has not been said before simply because of the way they both look. They are both fairly messy in shape and structure and already look like they have collided in the past and both lived to tell the tale. I dont know the distance between them but obviously its close enough for the LMC to suck the life out of the SMC.

One day in the distant future M31 and the Milky Way galaxies will be in the same situation. Its thought though that because of the number of stars in each and the distance between those stars that M31 and the MW will simply merge together to form one bigger galaxy. It will be a very friendly merging of the two galaxies.

Whatever that means on an astronomical scale. I suppose it will be a bit like how an ameba feeds..................it surrounds and engulfs its food.

Archived