Custom drilling ...

Unless you have any friends with the necessary pillar drill, your only other way is to have a look for a local Engineering workshop/ Blacksmiths, perhaps a local garage could help you out or one of the forum members near to you, will look upon you with kindness, it is getting close to Christmas lol :)

John.

Why not spend £50 or so on a small bench drill. Then a few pounds on drill bits, countersink rose, etc.

The investment is then made for the next (astro or other) job.

Garages (in my experience) are not the right places for accurate drilling.

Why not spend £50 or so on a small bench drill. Then a few pounds on drill bits, countersink rose, etc.

The investment is then made for the next (astro or other) job.

Garages (in my experience) are not the right places for accurate drilling.

I second that opinion.

Thanks for the suggestions. Please keep them coming, I'm hoping someone will say "Company XYZ will do neat custom drilling for you, given them a call on XXX". I'm looking for the easy route. I'm not saying that I'm thick, but I wouldn't know what to look for in a bench drill if I were to buy one, I don't have a bench in my garage anyway, I have no idea how to create a countersunk hole and no spare metal lying around to practice on!

Hmmm ... maybe I am saying that I'm thick ...

If you want to send it to me I'll do it for you. No charge just a return Jiffy bag.

Freff - that's a very kind offer. I've emailed a couple of metal working firms local to me, so I'll see what they say first before taking up any of your time. Many thanks.

Can anyone suggest a reasonable quality/reasonable price bench drill? I too never seem to have holes in the right places on dovertails etc!

thanks

Helen

As suggested "Machine Mart" for a DIY drill press, i have one brought some 20 years back, its multi speed not really a problem other than changing speed requires remove one belt to adjust the second belt, it has a middle pulley which give it extra speeds, i have it set sort of inn the middle and that's where it stays, if i were to buy another it would have a proper gearbox but there not cheap, so go for a 5 speed that only has 2 pulleys, decide if its bench or floor mounted, and always use a piece of wood in the press part so you don't make drill marks...

DSC_9436.jpg

And just a point, do I gather your drilled holes in the dovetail are meant to take 6mm cap head screws ?, if that is what you mean by countersunk or did you mean counter bored, this means boring out for the cap screw head at 10mm and finishing off with a 4 cut 10 mm HSS end mill, to give you a nice flat bottom, nothing personal I assure you lol :)

John.

And just a point, do I gather your drilled holes in the dovetail are meant to take 6mm cap head screws ?, if that is what you mean by countersunk or did you mean counter bored, this means boring out for the cap screw head at 10mm and finishing off with a 4 cut 10 mm HSS end mill, to give you a nice flat bottom, nothing personal I assure you lol :)

John.

Oh Jeeez! I have no clue. All I want is for the Altair Losmandy plate here ....http://www.altairastro.com/product.php?productid=16490&cat=275&page=1 ... to have two new holes drilled so I can fit some OTA rings onto it in the right position. Maybe you can tell me what I want????? It would certainly help me have conversations with any local machine shops!

Many thanks!

Cacky drawing, sorry.

On the left, countersunk side profie, to suit a countersunk setscrew. On right, counter bored, to suit any other type.

Or a better idea......... google countersunk hole and counterbored. Much better pictures than my shabby effort.

On the contrary, that drawing's quite clear, thanks for that. I'll ask Altair what screw I should be using!

Do you have or can take a photo of what you have and how you want it set up. Any close ups would be helpful.

I've ordered the plate from Altair, so it should be with me in a few days. I can take photos then. From what I can see now, though, I am looking for 2x M6 counterbored holes in the 25mm version of this plate ... http://www.altairastro.com/product.php?productid=16490&cat=275&page=1 ... so I can attach some tube rings. Actually, as the bolts/screws will be going through into the rings from the underside of this plate, they probably don't even need to be counterbored. I'll have a proper look when they arrive.

If your offer still stands, I might very well kindly accept it, since the first reply from a local machine shop said "Sure, we can do that - minimum charge £55 plus VAT - and leave it with us for 4 days" :ohmy: One down, two more to go ...

Do the bolts not go through the Tube Rings to the Plate, with the bolts being countersunk so there not touching the Tube when its held in the rings, this would then only require 2 holes at close to the right distance apart and in line with the mount, no counter-boring required....??

From the web site illustration of the Altair/Losmandy plate, the blurb states that they also supply 6mm stainless steel hardware, which in most cases means 6mm cap head screws, as you will see all the holes are counter bored to take such fixings :)

John.

Archived