NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Debayering a DSLR's Bayer matrix.

RAC

So you're managing to get the cover glass off the 1100D alright then Mark? :)  That was the big problem I found with the 1100D and the reason I put my efforts intio the 450D.  I left rather more that 10 pixels safety zone round the edge but still managed to use most of the sensor :)  I'm still doing odd little bits on the complete 450D imaging system - it's a bit more than a mono DSLR as it will have a filter wheel and OAG built into the case.  Plus the image sensor will have set-point cooling down to -20C.  My efforts on this are described in another thread.

Edited by Gina

So just to confirm, you removed the bayer filter array with glass Polish? Could you please give a little detail on the choice of method please? I am cold finger modifying my 450D, and since it is in peaces now it would be a good idea to remove the bayer array if I would.

Thanks

Hi Everyone! :) I would like to post our latest attempt using glass polish rather than mechanical scraping (although the pencil tip attempt I read about looks also interesting). Also, if you have any parts left over from debayering attempts please send me a PM, spare parts are nice to have around! :)

image.jpg

Have you got any details on the glass polish used?

• 3 weeks later...

We need to see a flat frame, really. Only then one can judge how successful the process has been. If you have a look at my flat frames in my debayered 1000D (which I debayered with glass polish), they are a mess and yet, normal daylight photos seemed unaffected.

Hi. After buying a Canon EOS 450D used, I decided to make it full spectrum (both filters removed). I thought and I decided to make the process of debayering. I used a wooden stick (used for manicures) to easily remove the layer of microlenses. The Bayer filter is much harder. For this I used a micro grinder equipped with a felt small disc (1 cm)t. The glass covering the sensor was easily removed (using a razor blade), so it was replaced in its original position to protect the sensor from dust. The work was almost perfect, except for the top and bottom edge of the sensor, which has been preserved not to damage the tiny wires. What do you think of my Canon 450D full spectrum debayered?
Pictures here:

Hello...

A link for a flat image:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34091483/IMG_3542_flat.jpg

The only problem was a loss of proper function of the connector that holds the circuit board from the Canon EOS to the ribbon of the cover containing the LCD and buttons. So, no LCD operating. This is not a big problem since the camera is controlled by computer. Does anyone have a board for Canon EOS 450D?

Rinaldo

Hi. After buying a Canon EOS 450D used, I decided to make it full spectrum (both filters removed). I thought and I decided to make the process of debayering. I used a wooden stick (used for manicures) to easily remove the layer of microlenses. The Bayer filter is much harder. For this I used a micro grinder equipped with a felt small disc (1 cm)t. The glass covering the sensor was easily removed (using a razor blade), so it was replaced in its original position to protect the sensor from dust. The work was almost perfect, except for the top and bottom edge of the sensor, which has been preserved not to damage the tiny wires. What do you think of my Canon 450D full spectrum debayered?
Pictures here:

Can you provide us with a link to the tools you have used?

Thanks

Can you provide us with a link to the tools you have used?

Thanks

Hi...

I used my Black & Decker RT650KA (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Decker-RT650KA-Wizard-Multitool/dp/B0001OZHF8), with 8000 RPM or level 1, combined with a felt polishing tool (http://www.ebay.com/itm/10PC-13mm-Felt-Polishing-Wheels-Rotary-Tool-fit-Dremel-Rotorcraft-Drills-3800-/201035999119?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item2eceade78f). 

Below the link for a image of my debayered sensor.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34091483/450Ddebayered.jpg

Rinaldo

Today I ordered a new felt polishing kit by Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INU-13pcs-Cone-Cotton-Felt-Buffing-Wheels-Watch-Crystal-Polishing-Set-/151088803775?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232d982fbf

It will be used in the next used Canon 450D sensor that is on the way, also purchased on Ebay (US$ 85.00).

Rinaldo

just out of curiosity, with 3d printers becoming fairly common, has anyone considered printing a shroud that the sensor can be fitted into that will shield the edges of the sensor while allowing the debayering process to be done without the worry of damaging the connectors at the edges?

• Like 1

just out of curiosity, with 3d printers becoming fairly common, has anyone considered printing a shroud that the sensor can be fitted into that will shield the edges of the sensor while allowing the debayering process to be done without the worry of damaging the connectors at the edges?

This is a good idea.

Gina, Hi..

Do you keep the low pass filter (UV/IR) in front of the sensor after removing the Bayer´s filter?

My Canon 450D is without any filter (I removed both). Only the orginal protective glass on the sensor.

Thank´s.

Rinaldo

Thank you Rinaldo. Your flat frame is pretty good indeed. You have tempted me to have another go at debayering a 450D. Any chance of having a video uploaded with the process when you try it in your new 450D sensor?

Thanks again.

Edited by pixueto

Thank you Rinaldo. Your flat frame is pretty good indeed. You have tempted me to have another go at debayering a 450D. Any chance of having a video uploaded with the process when you try it in your new 450D sensor?

Thanks again.

Sure ... I will try to make a video.

Rinaldo

Tomorrow I will purchase a dental polishing kit, with tips composed by silicone and aluminum oxide. I think it will be perfect for removing the Bayer filter on the edges of the sensor.
The product:
At the weekend, I'll have good fun. I will apply to the sensor that has been modified as well as the new (extracted from another 450D used).
Rinaldo
  • Like 1

Well ... I started to work on my additional Canon 450D sensor . The sequence of images in the links below show a kind of step by step in this initial stage. 

1) The sensor is removed from the camera, still with the protective glass. 

2) Image of the sensor  after "force" one of the corners with a razor. You can see a whitish area. 

I used acetone (a few drops) to help in dissolving the glue beneath the glass. With the aid of a razor, the glass is gradually peeling. 

3) Image after removal of the sensor glass and after a bath of isopropyl alcohol on the sensor surface, which evaporates quickly.

For now this is what I have to show.

• Like 1