NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Debayering a DSLR's Bayer matrix.

RAC

Love seeing so much time and effort expended into what is, effectively, undoing someone's very hard work at the Canon R&D dept :D Looking forward to those darks :) Also looking forward to your efforts with the 450D - by the sounds of things, that might be an easier project for me to emulate!

Here are dark images of 2m, 5m, 10m and 20m @ ISO 1600 captured with APT, converted to TIFF with DCRaw and stretched in Ps to bring out the full range of levels.  Levels were determined by my manual tweaking of curves and were not the same for all images - each image was processed individually so these images cannot be compared for brighness levels one to another.

post-13131-0-88834300-1379581714_thumb.j  post-13131-0-17622700-1379581719_thumb.j  post-13131-0-42773000-1379581722_thumb.j  post-13131-0-63823400-1379581726_thumb.j

Edited by Gina

Was hoping to attack the 450D sensor today but my precision PH000 screwdriver has finally given up - it's worn out.  Can't grumble it must have undone and done up thousands of tiny screws :D  So have another on order - should arrive tomorrow.  Might go ahead with the cooling job instead.

Precision PH000 screwdriver arrived this morning so I'll be able to strip down cameras and play with sensors :)  A faulty 1000D also came in the post :D  This one had been "bounced" on it's lens!   So I have a few sensors to work on :D

Used the new screwdriver to dismantle the 450D down to the bare sensor.  Took craft knife and worked round the edge of the cover glass gradually removing some of the glue and breaking the bond.  Then having broken through to the inside in some places and part way through in others, I decided to try pulling it off with the filter frame and it's highly adhesive double sided tape.  I pressed the two parts together firmly and then used a flat blade screwdriver to lever them apart again.  After lifting slightly part of the way round there was a "crack" sound and the two parts separated.  The glass was stuck to the double sided tape IN ONE PIECE.

YIPPEE I have removed the cover glass from the 450D sensor completely in one piece.  The sensor surface is now laid bare ready for the abrasive - and I'm having a rest! :)

• Like 3

Took the filter assembly, removed gasket then front filter with it's "shaker" I was surprised - this just lifted off.  I then removed the colour correction filter and the cover glass from the other side.  The latter took a bit of patience as it was well stuck to the double sided tape and the frame.

post-13131-0-95740400-1379685745_thumb.j

• Like 2

Made a start on the CFA removal.  Think this is more even that the last attempt.  Needed the scouring powder to get the CFA started but did it very carefully and barely broke through.  Then the fine abrasive taking care not to cover the area already cleared.

post-13131-0-42732200-1379688833_thumb.j

• Like 1

Some more CFA removal - looks nice and even so far.  I have improved the removal tool so hoping to get nearer the edge of the image area.  So far I'm well away from the edge and the wires are protected by the frame but I think it might be possible to get under the edge of the frame and touch the connections.

post-13131-0-57208900-1379690408_thumb.j

• Like 1

I seem to have a problem with the 450D body - dead as the proverbial dodo! :(  I also had a problem with the shutter connection which I think I've cured.  When I came to put the camera back together again I found the little clip that holds the ribbon cable in had disappeared.  I eventually got the cable to stay in by clamping it in with the adjacent earthing strap.  The camera was alive then.  I'm currently recharging the battery in case it was that.

It's working a bit with a charged battery and I also found a ribbon cable not all the way into it's connector.  Now the shutter works (by the sound of it) but there's only a faint glow from the LCD display and nothing gets recorded to the SD card.  I'll try it on the netbook next.  All the ribbon cables seem to be well in their connectors now.

EDIT - I posted this in the wrong thread by mistake so I'm re-posting it here where it belongs :D

Edited by Gina

On the netbook, some things work.  The flash works, the shutter rattles away but nothing is captured either on SD or the PC, live view doesn't work either.  Looks like I'll have to leave the 450D until I get another sample 450D.

What I've learned so far regarding the 450D :-

1. The cover glass is easy to remove like the 1000D
  2. The CFA removal presents no problem - coarse then fine abrasive produces a smooth result.
  3. The construction is the same as the 1000D
  4. The resolution is slightly higher that the 1000D
  5. The data depth is 14bits as opposed to 12bits for the 1000D
  6. Max ISO is 1600 same as the 1000D

Work on the 450D is now on hold until I can afford and get another 450D (probably faulty).  Meanwhile, I shall be working on another 1000D sensor and I also have 350D and 300D sensors to play with.

1000D dismantled and cover glass removed from sensor.  This time it was a real so-and-so.  Really stubborn.  Even when all the glue was white it wouldn't come off.  The double sided tape didn't work this time!  I eventually got it off in lots of bits.  This was a lot worse than the 450D.  Anyway, the sensor is still working fine so nothing caught the fine gold wires thankfully :)  Stopped now for cuppa and a rest :D

Edited by Gina

Yet more CFA removal :)  Two images - view to the east and flat.  Captured on the SD card in the camera.  Converted to TIFF with DCRaw and processed in Ps.  The Flat was highly stretched to pull out the variations.

post-13131-0-76796000-1379768646_thumb.j  post-13131-0-80919300-1379768648_thumb.j

Edited by Gina