NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Zoom eyepiece question, which is best

rowan46

Easy.

Speers Waler. Massive crisp FOV. Good eyerelief considering. Whilst I haven't used the 8-12, I have the 5-8 and it IS remarkable !!

Perhaps think of getting the extension tube, that turns the FL into 5-7.4mm

Do they barlow? Don't know, never tried.

I have used the S waler 8-12mm and found it an excellent zoom though a little limited but 82 degree FOV throughout the full range, I have owned the 8-5mm of the same maker and that to was exceptional. Of the the others I would be drawn to the Pentax as this is a quality make. There have been too many bad stories from site members about the Baader and I have bought their stuff myself and I am not impressed by their quality control one bit.

Alan.

I have the Pentax 8-24 but I've never used the Speer W. I looked through the Hyperion a few times in other people's scope and mechanically the Hyperion Clickstop is probably easier to use. The Pentax's zoom mechanism is very stiff due to its airtight and waterproof design and doesn't have clicks. Optically it was very good as well, but I haven't compare it to my Pentax.

The Pentax is very sharp in my 80/480, good to the edge with good transmission and flare control. However, it's a zoom and overall image quality isn't as good as good fix focal length eyepieces.

I tried a Nikon 9-21mm zoom earlier tonight and I'd say it's at least on par with the Pentax on-axis and the eyepiece is considerably smaller. The drawback was the Nikon uses its own threaded Fieldscope connection rather astronomical standard 1.25" connection, and I haven't find anyone who sells an adapter. Fortunately the Nikon thread's outer diameter was just slightly larger than 1.25" so I could push fit it to my Borg turret, but in the long term I'll still need an adapter because I can't push it into metal fittings.

I think that's too rich for me. I don't think I can justify spending more for the eyepiece than I did the scope. Anybody know where I can get a speers waler 5-8mm zoom?

Sadly, I think they were recently discontinued. You'd need to get one 2nd hand.

Archived