NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My scopes over the years....

dweller25

Hello.

I bought the Newtonian around 20 years ago and sold it around 4 years ago as I hurt my back and it was too heavy to move around. The scope was also right at the limit of what the Super Polaris mount could handle so had a fair bit of vibration. However it was a very good all rounder for a reasonable price.

I decided to get back into Astronomy this year and wanted something that would out perform my old 8" Newt but was also light (still have a bad back), the C9.25 fitted the bill - a great scope but pricey. I am really looking forward to viewing Mars through this scope this winter and will be trying a little basic webcam astrophotograpy with it.

The Tal was purchased recently from a SGL forum member. I have always wanted a refractor and this was the perfect size for the perfect price. I am very pleased with it.

The Tal performs very well with very sharp contrasty images. It looks like a "proper" telescope and is not as demanding as the SCT ie it's always in collimation, it only takes 30 mins to cool down and I can use it for over an hour without dew forming - so no dew heater wires. Additionally it's performance over the years will stay the same ie no degrading mirrors. I would not describe it as grab and go but setup is simpler and quicker than the SCT. The HEQ5 just manages this scope with some vibration during focussing over x150.

For pure optical performance the SCT easily wins, however cool down time is 2 hours, collimation HAS to be very very very accurate and a dew heater strip is essential - it looks like spaghetti junction with all the wires !! - it's a high maintenance thoroughbred. The HEQ5 easily manages this scope with no focus vibration at x235.

I enjoy using the Tal more than the SCT, but enjoy the extra resolution, light gathering and mount stability the SCT has over the Tal !!!!

My ultimate scope would be an 8" Astro Physics Starfire refractor but I'm just dreaming. :lol:

1561_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Archived