Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bright and easy galaxies/nebulae out there right now?

deckardbr

Hi all,

Tomorrow, will be first light for my new NexStar 6SE. If it survives the trip to Italy, I'm going to try and see a few bright DSOs + Moon + Jupiter.

I have a 2" diagonal and 15mm, 25mm and 40mm EPs and a 2x barlow lense.

What would you advise are the brightest, most "spectacular" galaxies and nebulae in this period? (not much into clusters, for now!)

I'd like some "easy" targets to start with. Tomorrow the moon will be quite bright so I need to be realistic and only target "very" bright DSOs...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Andrea

M81 and M82 in Ursa Major - the best galaxies in my opinion and "two for the price of one" in your lowest power eyepiece.

Galaxies M31, M32 and M110 in Andromeda (the latter much fainter than the other two). Again your lowest power eyepiece but your won't find much more than the central core of M31 will fit into even your 40mm eyepiece - it's a biggie !

M57, The Ring Nebula in Lyra. This is a small object and can be overlooked at very low power. Unmistakable at around 80x though.

M27, The Dumbell Nebula in Vulpecula. Much larger than M57 so lowish power should suffice. Nice "apple core" shape visible in small scopes.

M42, the Great Nebula in Orion in the early hours. Don't miss this - it's the brightest and most spectacular nebula in our skies. Use low power to fit the whole thing in and then use more power to spot the 4 Trapezium stars in the central region.

Don't expect "photo like" views of any of the above but they are some of the best visual objects though.

Archived