Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

£400 - Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ5

Is there any reason you particularly want an equatorial mount? If not, you could pick up the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P variant on a Dobsonian mount much cheaper, and have funds left over for a collimator and a Telrad. I'm not decrying the 200P on an EQ5 - I myself owned one mounted on an EQ5 Pro Synscan, and I loved it :).

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

Edit: Added a link :)

If you go down the dob route you can get a 250mm rather than a 200mm for around the same price too. They're not for everyone though I know... some people just like to have the scope mounted rather than the simple alt-az dob solution. It's worth considering though.

Well a simple manual dob does mean that you're not paying for a comparatively complex (and by extension, expensive) EQ mount. So more of your money goes on the optics. Like Tjr says, for around about the same budget, you could be looking at 10" (250mm) scope instead of the 8" 200P.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-250px-dobsonian.html

True but i want to start capturing images and i hear that the EQ mount is the way to gover over the dob. Also isnt using a dob harder to track movements over the night sky?

But i can't ignor the 250 over a 200 for the same )ish) price! plus i live in a rural area so i get lots of lovely darkness!

I have 200p and EQ5. The 200p is a good telescope, but then optically a Newtonian is about as simple as it gets and parabolic mirrors are mass produced to high standards so it should be good.

I realise now that I should have bought a better quality mount more suitable for imaging.

Despite that I have learnt a tremendous amount using this telescope/mount combination. I've learnt a lot about finding my way around the sky for one thing, though I now rather yearn for GOTO.

True but i want to start capturing images and i hear that the EQ mount is the way to gover over the dob. Also isnt using a dob harder to track movements over the night sky?

But i can't ignor the 250 over a 200 for the same )ish) price! plus i live in a rural area so i get lots of lovely darkness!

Yes, an EQ mount is best for imaging.

Knowing what I know now I wish I had bought a better mount with GOTO in the first place.

But having said that, I bought my scope 2 years ago not knowing whether I would really take seriously to observational astronomy. So, I think this scope and mount is a good way to put your toes in the water without breaking the bank.

But be warned, if you get the bug you'll want to spend more money. :-)

Also just a thought but could i place the Dob on an EQ mount or is that just a waste of money?

The term Dobsonisn really refers to the mount - or lack of it. Basically it is a Newtonian reflector being guided by hand on a very rudimentary Alt-Az mount. Basically I much prefer an Equatorial mount with tracking abilities.

Also just a thought but could i place the Dob on an EQ mount or is that just a waste of money?

Yes, it is quite possible to take the 200P OTA (the tube) off the Dobsonian mount and stick it on an equatorial mount later. But I think you might have to buy some extras, like tube rings and such, I am not sure.

Hi Ouroboros

thanks for the heads up, im still torn between the 200 and 250 dob. Would i really notice that much of a difference?

if not im more inclined to go for the 200 and EQ5

On DSOs such as galaxies and nebulae, yes, I think you would notice quite a big difference. Especially with your dark skies. On planets and the moon, not so much, except on a perfect night when you can push the magnification to the limit of your optics. I have yet to experience such a night myself, but then I have only been at it for about 6 months so far.

well i might go for the 250 Dob and then just buy an EQ mount that can cope with it next year...lol but by then if im spending £300plus on a mount i will probably sell the 250 DOB and spend £1000 plus on new kit!

this is never ending! i see how people creep up to creating obersavtories in the back garden!

think i will pop to a scop shop and try them both out.

thanks for all your hep guys

Treat yourself to the 250 dob. If you're after a decent imaging setup later on then you'll be much better placed to know what you'll want. If you buy well (and patiently) you should always be able to recoup your initial outlay. You may even decide you need more than one scope :grin:.

Archived