Collimator Help

Hello,

It was only until recently, at a Star Party, I was told this problem was more serious than I first thought.

Ever since I bought the 'Next Generation laser collimator' http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/review/miscellaneous/next-generation-laser-collimator when I rotate it in the focuser/eyepiece holder the red dot descibes a circle. I botched a thing to test it and at a distance of about 10' it descibed a circle of around 2". I have heard to remedy this issue to adjust the grub screws on the collimator but found they were sealed (as mentioned in the review link above). It hasn't had any big knocks or falls and has always been stored in its origanal box.

Please can somene advise me.

Thank you in advance.

Betelgeux.

I had one of those "Next Generation" collimators - heap of junk - I had to write it off cos I wouldn't even sell it to a fellow astronomer. Scrap it and go for a Baader (as above) or Hotech like I did - at least they are collimatable. :)

I hope your replacement is accurate. I dug out the seals on mine (it came with a sheet saying I might have to) and adjusted it using a stand I made up from plastic plumbing joints. It is now accurate at 15 feet although it did take some time to get it right.

hi there

was it you that I spoke with at the weekend? (I was mid swap of focusers on my dobs). hope you get a replacement that works well. personally I prefer a Cheshire but if you want to continue with a lazer I would certainly recommend the barlowed lazer method we discussed. this article http://www.smartavtweaks.com/RVBL.html gives a good representation of what you'll see. this can only do the primary though. for the secondary you really do need a sight tube/Cheshire in my opinion.

not sure where you are in NW England but if close enough to Stockport send me a PM and I'd be glad to try and help.

Archived