Mount stability

When reading the various reviews and articles on Scpoes and mounts theres always a note on the stability, especially when concerned with AP.

Does this instability come from the tripod or the rotating mechanisms? Would having a heavy duty fixed base/stand improve things any?

Thanks in advance,

Sully

The pier/mount wouldn't have to be portable, I'll be quite happy with it fixed in the back garden and just use the supplied mount for any traveling around.

If you are up for it and are handy with DIY projects then a pier in the garden would be great. For those times when you are traveling around (perhaps to dark sky locations to do some imaging?) then you really need the sturdiest mount/tripod possible. Some of them can be monsters and uuber expensive.

If you just want to do some observing on your travels, then the supplied mount/tripod will be enough.

Most dedicated imagers tend to spend more on the mount/tripod then they do on their scope.

Not wanting to go down the route of a heavy concrete pier and its associated construction. Some time ago I considered using a simple length of 2" scaffold pole with a welded scope base plate to suit, set in about a Cu ft of concrete with three outriggers of angle iron or inch tube, positioned and welded at 120° round the pole, set at an angle and each set in its own small concrete pad, or provision for bolting to any flagging which could be laid around the viewing site, this should help dampen any vibration. For ease of construction, the outriggers can, of course, be prefabricated by welding to a collar which will slip over the pole and bolt up when correctly orientated for North, before finally securing to the ground, in effect this is nothing more that a fixed basic tripod design with a central column, but very strong and IMHO quite suitable for imaging purposes for small to medium scopes :)

John.

What you should be aiming for in a tripod or pier is something with no movement whatsoever, a tripod can be buffeted by wind, so one hangs a heavy weight from the tripod centre. A pier should have some sand put inside (if hollow) to dampen any vibrations. The size of either tripod or pier really depends on what equipment one puts on them, though most astronomers seam to add more gear to the assembly as they progress in this amazing hobbie, so think ahead before you construct anything permanent. The mount should have no slop in any direction.

So as as Paul said, the tripod and mount must be the most stable part of the assembly, without stability you will be in a whole world of frustration.

Just the sort of thing I was thinking of. But does it work? Has anyone tried it out.? The ones in the DIY seem a bit extreme.

In part yes, I sunk a couple of 2" scaffold poles into concrete to reinforce some old timber fence posts . Once every thing had set I was surprised how strong the pole was, with three supporting legs to provide extra stability and dampen out any vibration, I could see this design as an excellent lightweight alternative to the concrete pier, in effect you are providing a strong steel pillar and tripod, set in concrete :)

John.

That's settled then, I'll give my idea a go, a piece of PFC with cap plate to take the mount and base plate that can be bolted and unbolted to a ground plate an let you know how it turns out if any ones interested. Might take a couple of week to find time though

Archived