Pulsars - can you say any?

mdstuart

I am going to a talk on Pulsars tonight at Bristol Astronomy Society..

Do you know if you can see any with an amateur scope.

I guess not as the nearest one is 280 light years away and they are very dull objects..

I know the hubble can see the pulsar at the centre of the crab nebula and it is 6500 light years away.

Yours heopfully

Mark

Yes it should say see any! Thanks for the reponses..

I am guessing then it is not possible to see any..even those less than 500 light years away.

The talk at BAS was amazing. I now know that pulsars glitch even though we do not quite know why!

Regards

Mark Stuart

I'm not sure if anyone has claimed to see any pulsars visually - but the Crab Nebula pulsar is mag 16, so should be possible in a big dob (though i'm not sure if mag 16 is time integrated or the brightness of a pulse).

Anyway, electronically, a few amateurs have been able to record the pulsing of the Crab pulsar - a strobe technique and short exposures is used.

Robin Leadbeater managed to do this back in 2003 using fairly ordinary gear:

http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk/astro/astro_image_33.htm

With some of the more sensitive and fast capture cameras available today, it might be more easily do-able.

Callum

Callum

Thats interesting. Facinating technique using a strobe.. Thanks...The crab nebula is 6500 light years away and the pulsar is mag16..

There are pulsars 200-300 light years away so I was hoping one might be mag 14 or below....

Mark

Archived