Shooting stars

I hadn't planned to go out tonight as the forecast was not great, but I stuck my head out at 2300hrs to a lovely dark sky with a few isolated clouds, but importantly none of the thin high cloud that lights the sky up that I've been seeing lately.

So a quick scout about with the binocs was in order. Pleiades beautiful as always, then just panning about pretty much at random, taking in the majesty of it all, I settled on the Coathanger asterism, which I recognised from the spring Moore marathon. After a few moments a bright white streak bisected my view - probably a tail end Draconid as it cut down from the 1 o'clock position exiting at the 7 o'clock position.

I love seeing meteors, and to see one magnified made me smile :)

Should I consider myself lucky, or will this seem like a pretty common event when I've got a few years of observing under my belt?

I saw a very slow moving object, roughly South to North but low near the horizon, I managed to see it in my 25mm eyepiece and it was a fairly large looking object, still just a white blob but fun to try to track anyway. Most of the little white dots I see are just little white dots, they move too fast to track in the telescope, but they are satellites not meteors.

I have seen a couple of meteors streak through my eyepiece, but that's all I'll ever expect to see of them as by the time I look up it's gone.

Meteors still amaze me and I've been watching them for a couple of years now. Considering what it is, how small it is, and how fast it's going is astonishing!

Jonathan - it looks like what you saw was a man-mad e satellite.

And yesterday I was very, very lucky when observing Jupiter at 130x magnification to see a meteor pass straight over it in my line of sight. That definitely topped the experience for me, probably will never see that again!

I find all parts of the sky interesting, Messiers, constellations, double stars, satellites, meteors, comets......

i was fortunate to see the fireball earlier in the year and it's not something I'll forget in a hurry.

The nice thing about meteors is you never know when you are going to see one.

Simon

Watching meteorites is fun but when you see one shoot across the eyepiece it's allways a surprise and a nice little wow moment. But they can also be a pain if you're in the middle of a 5min exposure on some object you're trying to image. All part of the fun of stargazing lol :)

Archived