NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

9 months off and need a DSLR

So I'm back after nearly 9 months off due to our new family edition. Just after some advice about a DSLR. I have narrowed it down to a Pentax k-5 or a canon 650d. I like the weather proofing of the Pentax but everyone on here seems to have a canon of some kind. I would mainly be using it in the day but also want to connect it to my scope for some imaging. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Firstly, congratulations with getting some time back.

Secondly, I have just upgraded from a Nikon d40 to a 650d. I have to say I am delighted with it, live view is great but the video capability and the rotating flip screen is a boon for Astro photography. Not only that but it is rock solid for regular photography too. The flip screen makes grabbing a video of the kids from floor or waist height easy, the only downside is that the kit lense has a noisy focus motor for video, a usm lense is much better.

That's my experience anyway

Martin

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Cheers for the info guys. I'm still torn as I went and had a look at the Pentax today and really liked it. I'm just a bit worried about using the canon outside for long periods as it's not weatherproof. I have a old canon 350d so I may remove the filter on it and try using that for astro. I know it has no live view but I will use some of the software mentioned by you guys and see how I get on. Thanks for the help.

Congratulations, and welcome back. If the camera is going to be primarily for daytime use, then go with whichever you like and feel most comfortable with. As it's for occasional Astro use, even though Canon has greater support, it'll still work. And as you say, you have the 350d, mod that as you suggest and away you go.

One last thing to consider... do you have an investment in Canon fit glass ? If so, you need to take this into account when considering an upgrade path. Changing all the lenses can get expensive.

you only have to look at the kit ppl have to see Canon is King when it comes to DSLRs.thats not saying the other cameras aren't up to the job, just that most PPL on here will have the Canons therefore you will have a bigger support network when you need advice.

I only have the lens that came with my 350d so no worries there. I will portably go with the Pentax and be a rebel on here. I bought my 350d off here and got a great deal on it, what's happened to the sales section? It's disappeared whilst I've been gone.

Firstly, congratulations with getting some time back.

Secondly, I have just upgraded from a Nikon d40 to a 650d. I have to say I am delighted with it, live view is great but the video capability and the rotating flip screen is a boon for Astro photography. Not only that but it is rock solid for regular photography too. The flip screen makes grabbing a video of the kids from floor or waist height easy, the only downside is that the kit lense has a noisy focus motor for video, a usm lense is much better.

That's my experience anyway

Martin

Even the USM lenses do some noticeable noise. I would recomend installing Magic Lantern, it's a mod for the camera that shows dots on the sharp areas where the focus is, when you're recording or in live view. This allows you to manual focus with ease.

I have Canon 30D and a Canon 50D and swear by them. Have used Canon right back to the days of film and never had one go bad on me (even after I dropped the 50D body - picked it up with trepidation, put a lens on it and have been using it ever since, no problems at all - not even a mark on it and it still gives the same great images)

Thanks pvaz, I will check that out. To be honest though I haven't heard any focuser noise on my videos yet with the usm lense - maybe they are all taken in noisy places!

Back to camera choices - I think that if a camera feels good to you and has a decent spec for the price, then you are unlikely to be disappointed.

Martin

Archived