Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I wonder if ?

Seafury

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funnily enough, I was having a conversation about this the other day whilst showing someone an image I took of the M57, The Ring Nebula. I explained that it was 2300 light years away and that the photons that are captured on my CCD had took 2300 years traveling through space to reach it, therefore in away my camera was a sort of time machine. It had captured an event in time that in reality may have changed by all recognition now I.e. if Vega went Supernova tonight.....we wouldn't know for another 25 yrs.

interesting concept?

i'm not an Astro physicist so I have no idea if I am right but that's my take on it.

You are quite right in your assumption that 'things' will have changed at the source object since the light we see left it. As on Earth, time moves on and so changes are inevitable, especially over say a 1000 light years. I wonder, for example, how much evidence of the human race will be left in 1000 years time?

:D If Usane Bolt was on the airliner and he flicked a coin in the air, then surely the coin would rapidly vanish towards the back of the plane and hit the back, as it is now supported only by fresh air which the plane is travelling through !? :huh:

Erm no sorry but the air in the airliner is travelling at the same velocity as the aircraft. Thats why they compress cabins (or at least part of the reason). After all its not like the froth on the top of your coffeee gets blown off onto the passenger behind you!.

I'm not so sure the bullet would leave the gun?! The bullet never makes it beyond 500 ft/sec and the gun and gun barrel is moving more quickly so surely the laws of physics dictate this?? Anyway, it is all just a bit of fun :) Until I try it next time I'm on a plane going on my hols. I will report back when I've tried it ;)

Again sorry but no correct either, the bullet would leave the gun and your perspective would dictate its apparent velocity. If your were on the ground then the bullet would appear to be travelling at 1001 ft/sec, if your the pilot it would appear to travel at 500 ft/sec. Just to let you know they do indeed fit modern fighter jets with canons, they really wouldnt be much use if the bullets didnt come out ;)

Clear skies

Scott.

symesieo4 writes :

Again sorry but no correct either, the bullet would leave the gun and your perspective would dictate its apparent velocity. If your were on the ground then the bullet would appear to be travelling at 1001 ft/sec, if your the pilot it would appear to travel at 500 ft/sec. Just to let you know they do indeed fit modern fighter jets with canons, they really wouldnt be much use if the bullets didnt come out ;)

Clear skies.

Oh, yeah :icon_scratch: .......

Surely I've come up with something half decent somewhere though and haven't just made a total fool of myself??!!

I was quite impressed with my observations on the coin flicking in the plane too. :rolleyes:

Help me out someone...........................please............................

Clear skies all ;)

Scott.

Oh, yeah :icon_scratch: .......

Surely I've come up with something half decent somewhere though and haven't just made a total fool of myself??!!

I was quite impressed with my observations on the coin flicking in the plane too. :rolleyes:

Help me out someone...........................please............................

Clear skies all ;)

Scott.

Sorry Scott, symesie04 explained it pretty well. The air in the cabin you and the plane are all travelling at a constant speed. Otherwise when you get out of your seat on the plane there would be a huge pile of people stuck in the back of the aircraft. The only time it would be different is if the plane was accelerating.

Archived