Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Problem with Skywatcher-Skyliner 200p

Hi guys i'm new to Astronomy although I have been interested in the universe for many years.

I recently bought the Skywatcher-Skyliner 200p and when I looked through the finderscope the moon was right bang in the middle but when I looked through the lens all I could see was blue sky and clouds (By the way this was in the morning)

If you guys have any idea what could be causing this it would be very helpful.

Thank you for reading this.

The finder scope may not be in line. That's the simplest answer. Viewing in the daytime isn't the best time to view the moon either, especially at the high magnifications.

You said you saw blue sky and clouds? Any chance that a cloud was covering the moon?

No when I looked with my own eyes there were no clouds around the moon but when I was moving my telescope around trying to find it I came across a few clouds, also I dont want to sound dumb but how do you align a finder scope??

There are two small black screws. Adjusting them moves the finder scope within the bracket. There is also a silver thing which stabilises it but you don't need to worry about that. There should also be a rubber band that fits over a groove in the finder That should be in place before you place the finder in the bracket.

In short, aim at something using the main scope (not the sun) and move the black screws until the finder's cross hairs are near the object seen in the EP.

There are two small black screws. Adjusting them moves the finder scope within the bracket. There is also a silver thing which stabilises it but you don't need to worry about that. There should also be a rubber band that fits over a groove in the finder That should be in place before you place the finder in the bracket.

So do I loosen the black screws and twist the finderscope clockwise or anticlockwise or something? (Sorry I realised that sounded a little sarcastic but I couldn't phrase it any other way.

In short, aim at something using the main scope (not the sun) and move the black screws until the finder's cross hairs are near the object seen in the EP.

Okay I will try that tonight, thank you very much.

I've a similar problem of a horrid hidden horizon, best thing to do is to point it in the general direction of something really bright (not the sun, obviously), the moon is perfect. If you then take the eyepiece out the focuser and look in it you should see a flash of light somewhere on the mirror, move the tube until it's brightest then put your 25mm eyepiece in. It should have the moon visible so center it and adjust the finder. Pick a bright star, set the finder on it then look through the eyepiece, center it, adjust the finder, then move up an eyepiece, center and adjust the finder.

Done.

when i align mine i use a tree about 3 miles away to centre the scope on, i then adjust the finderscope on it, just find something convenient to where you are.

I will have another look outside and try and find something, thank you very much for your advice :D

I've a similar problem of a horrid hidden horizon, best thing to do is to point it in the general direction of something really bright (not the sun, obviously), the moon is perfect. If you then take the eyepiece out the focuser and look in it you should see a flash of light somewhere on the mirror, move the tube until it's brightest then put your 25mm eyepiece in. It should have the moon visible so center it and adjust the finder. Pick a bright star, set the finder on it then look through the eyepiece, center it, adjust the finder, then move up an eyepiece, center and adjust the finder.

Done.

I tried doing that funnily enough, but I couldn't find the moon even when looking without an eyepiece in but I will try again tonight as the moon will be brighter against the dark sky.

Good idea.

A few months ago, when I was buying a Skyliner 200P, I started a (still active) thread asking some questions about the scope. Here it is:

http://stargazerslou...about-the-200p/

Have a read through. You might find some helpful information!

Thank you I found that helpful, it also answered some of my other question I was debating with myself whether I should of asked, On a side note I found it rather Ironic you are also 14 and bought the Sky at night september issue as well as the all about space magazine which I did as well hahaha.

If I'm honest, I wish I had gotten into Astronomy earlier. I think the interest was there but the patience wasn't.

If you read the very first issue of All About Space then there is a section on Dob usage that uses the Skyliner 200P as the example dob.

Hope you are using the 25mm eyepiece and not the 10mm one.

500 yards/meters may not be enough as the focuser will have to be wound out and there may not be enough travel.

Don't try the moon or a star they disappear out of view too fast.

If there is a means of making the Dob less easy to move then make it less easy to move as when adjusting the finder it will cause the main scope to move off lf the target.

Expect to aim main scope, adjust finder, re-aim main scope and readjust finder. They do not sit still when you are doing things to them.

Hope you are using the 25mm eyepiece and not the 10mm one.

500 yards/meters may not be enough as the focuser will have to be wound out and there may not be enough travel.

Don't try the moon or a star they disappear out of view too fast.

If there is a means of making the Dob less easy to move then make it less easy to move as when adjusting the finder it will cause the main scope to move off lf the target.

Expect to aim main scope, adjust finder, re-aim main scope and readjust finder. They do not sit still when you are doing things to them.

Yeah I use the 25mm to locate something before using the 10mm.

Okay so last night I went out with my telescope and gave it over an hour to match the temperature outside, by the time that was done Jupiter had risen over my neighbor's house, I tried finding it but sadly I didn't manage it, after another hour I decided to focus my attention on the moon although that was only just coming above my neighbor's house so I waited about 45 minutes then after a long while trying to find it I managed it!! And wow is all I can say even with clouds moving over it the moon was crisp and gave me some images which will live with me forever.

P.S: I will admit I did not align the telescope because I was too amazed by the moon I only remembered that was why I went out there when I had packed it up back inside.

Thank you guys for all your answers and advice, it was really helpful :smiley:

The moon is definitely one of the best sights through a Skyliner 200P. It is really easy to image the moon as well.

All you need is a simple digital camera, maybe a moon filter (or two) and one of these: http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/Astro-Engineering/Ultra/PH047.html

The PH047 Ultra Afocal Digital Camera Support simply holds a camera up to the eyepiece allowing to take really good afocal images without having to worry about shaking hands.

If the image description says "Made through a Skyliner 200p Dobsonian" then It was also taken with the PH047.

Just remember to align the finder scope the next time you go out!

as well as your normal finder, a red dot finder of some kind (I have used mainly Telrads but the Baader Skysurfer 3 is OK) will make it much easier to initially align the scope. for naked eye targets, that's all you need but for things you cannot see naked eye then an optical finder too is a good combo especially if a right angle correct image one.

The moon is definitely one of the best sights through a Skyliner 200P. It is really easy to image the moon as well.

All you need is a simple digital camera, maybe a moon filter (or two) and one of these: http://www.scopesnsk...ltra/PH047.html

The PH047 Ultra Afocal Digital Camera Support simply holds a camera up to the eyepiece allowing to take really good afocal images without having to worry about shaking hands.

If the image description says "Made through a Skyliner 200p Dobsonian" then It was also taken with the PH047.

Just remember to align the finder scope the next time you go out!

Thank you thats really helpful for when I eventually want to take pictures, although it make take a while to save for a PHO47 and a 2x barlow lens :p

Archived