Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

12V power supply

JM1311

Hi

I am looking at various options for power packs/tanks to drive a GO-TO scope mount. and was wondering if anyone had ever used a golf trolley battery?

The battery is a Panasonic 12V 21Ah and would only be used to drive a EQ-5 PRO with max current draw of approximately 2A, no heaters or inverters and normal observing sessions from me are only a few hours.....seems like it will do the job nicely with the correct connector added. Battery is obviously complete with the correct charger and is outside of the manufacturers warranty period.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I'm guessing you're mainly using it for observing in which case it'll get quite a bit of use, though 21ah sounds amble enough. The key thing is to keep it charged to stop any degrading in performance.:)

Mines a 17 Ah golfcart battery. Keep it in an old carry case thats a snug fit. Just needed and in line auto fuse holder and twin sockets to complete. Always start each session with a full charge and its never let me down. However getting some dew heaters this year so might need a re-think

• 1 month later...

Frederick, do you use an in line fuse because of a direct connection to the scopes or does this double up on a fuse that would be in the cigar socket attachment tip? Just trying to work out the best way to connect such a battery through my cigar lighter leads to the scope. These have 5amp fuses already installed for both the dew heater and the scope motor so wondering if that is sufficient already.

Thanks

Archived