NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro Synscan or SynTrek

Hi,

I currently own a Skymax 127 SynScan AZ GOTO scope and mount and am getting to the point where I want to upgrade.

I have to be realistic and accept the fact that I'm on a budget. To spread the cost I will be getting the mount first and a new scope later.

I am looking at a motorised Skywatcher HEQ5 mount (yeah I'd like the NEQ6 - but there is that budget to consider) and my options seem to be the

HEQ5 PRO Synscan and HEQ5 SynTrek. From the descriptions at FLO the only real difference between them is the handset:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-heq5-syntrek.html

"The HEQ5 SynTrek can be upgraded to full computerized SynScan GOTO by simply changing the hand control to a SynScan hand control."

I guess my question really comes down to ....... If I get the HEQ5 SynTrek, can I just use the SynScan handset from my Skymax 127 set up to turn it into a full GOTO configuration ........ I'm guessing NO, one being an AZ and one an EQ mount - but just have to ask as it will help keep the costs down - or at least give me an extra £125 to spend on other bits!

I will be keeping the Skymax 127 ....... so if the answer to the above question is in fact a 'Yes' .... can I also use the SynTrek handset on the Skymax?

Eventually I will be getting a new scope for the HEQ mount and the ability to have both scopes up and running could come in useful.

Thanks

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As to wether your current hand set can be used on a HEQ5 mount... I have no idea. However the only difference between the syntrek and the pro is the handset. they both have the same 'insides'. What many people do to keep the cost down is use a laptop to provide a goto function.

For the sake of being future proof I would also take into consideration the new scope you are thinking of getting or wether are you planning to dabble in any astrophotography as mount size and stability become more greater importance.

I am sure someone with more experience than me will be able to answer your question about the handset.

Regards

Marc

Marc,

Thanks for the reply.

Hmmm SynTrek with laptop & stellarium instead! .....I do have a laptop with Stellarium and have controlled by Skymax 127 (after some stupid setup errors from myself), so that is an option and not one I had given much thought to .... So many thanks.

I do plan on a some dabbling in astrophotography ..... but have no realistic plans to become a hard-core astrophotograper, mainly because the top end equipment is pretty

much beyond my budget, at least until the kids leave home :grin:

I would be looking at something like the Skywatcher 200PDS (or maybe the 150pds), I would be limited to my cannon dslr and a modified webcam.

If I get the HEQ5 SynTrek, can I just use the SynScan handset from my Skymax 127 set up to turn it into a full GOTO configuration ........ I'm guessing NO, one being an AZ and one an EQ mount

My understanding is that you can - but you need to reprogram the handset (using a PC) to whichever configuration you're currently using.

Not particularly difficult, but you might not want to be doing it on a whim whenever you change scopes...

Thanks. That sound promising.

I wouldn't be wanting to constantly reprogram the handset ...... but if I can swap Synscan and SynTrek handsets between the Skymax AZ GOTO and an HEQ5 then that would be great.

I don't suppose anybody knows of a link that describes the reprogramming process!

Not sure about the mutual use of that handset but if you buy the Syntrek then you can always update at a later date for the syncsan for about £140. I chose the goto to learn on that first before I get into the whole EQmod side of things. I must say it is an impressive setup. Other thing to consider is......if you go down the laptop route you will need some bits and pieces to get it working. Not sure but does the cost of that equal the extra cost of the handset. Also, if I just want to pop outside and not bother imaging, do I want to have to set up the laptop all the time or do I just carry it outside,, quick setup and off I go. Just things to consider.

I have a 200pds on heq5 pro and would recomend it to anyone. I think you might suprise yourself with what can be acheived with it and a dslr for ap.

As for the handsets, if the 127 handset works then get the syntrek. You can use that handset until you get hooked on ap (which you will) and have that all set up and running from the lappy and then just revert the handset back to the 127 for looking around when the heq5 is on an imaging run.

The answer is yes you can use your AZ handset with the Eq mount, the latest beta version of the firmware works with both types of mount. All you need to purchase is a CAT5 network cable to connect the handset to the EQ mount. The firmware even identifies which type of mount it's connected to and runs the appropriate alignment routine on startup.

Peter

I too am saving the pennies for a 200pds on a HEQ5 pro. You are right they are not cheap but as I have a desire to move into AP I want something that balances between portability and price. Many say that HEQ5 is too small ideal for AP and the neq6 is needed. Maybe the HEQ5 is less ideal but I am sure it will be enough. There are work arounds to keep the weight down. I a a post the other day of modding a finder scope into a guide scope and adding a webcam to guide with. Besides I dont have the money for an neq6.

Bobsta do you have photos you could post taken with a 200pds on a HEQ5 pro.

Cheers

Oh wow - that's great news!

- quite good of them - in today's world - to integrate both in one OS release.

On the other hand it probably has cost-savings for their warehousing and other operations...

I think the firmware is going to be used on the AZ-EQ6 GT http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-az-eq6-mount.html

Peter

All,

Thanks for the replies. This is all good news.

Very happy to hear that the handsets can be switched, that will save me a few £££ that I can put towards the 200PDS.

Eventually I hope to have a 200PDS/HEQ5 on an astrophotography run (happy at boabsta's comments) and home use and the 127 to for general/luna observing and as a mobile scope.

Best of all ..... this get's a thumbs up from my wife ! :grin:

All,

Thanks for the replies. This is all good news.

Very happy to hear that the handsets can be switched, that will save me a few £££ that I can put towards the 200PDS.

Eventually I hope to have a 200PDS/HEQ5 on an astrophotography run (happy at boabsta's comments) and home use and the 127 to for general/luna observing and as a mobile scope.

Best of all ..... this get's a thumbs up from my wife ! :grin:

Up until recently I had a similar set up, but found that I seldom used the 127 mobile setup as the 200P is permanent in an observatory.

The HEQ5 is an excellent platform in my opinion. It can take the weight of an simple imaging set up (mine is non-pds), its not that heavy, and both the syntrek and pro goto versions have the same precision motors making them the ideal entry SW mount for imaging. They are also fairly easy to modify to belt drive which improves their accuracy and makes them quieter.

I too am saving the pennies for a 200pds on a HEQ5 pro. You are right they are not cheap but as I have a desire to move into AP I want something that balances between portability and price. Many say that HEQ5 is too small ideal for AP and the neq6 is needed. Maybe the HEQ5 is less ideal but I am sure it will be enough. There are work arounds to keep the weight down. I a a post the other day of modding a finder scope into a guide scope and adding a webcam to guide with. Besides I dont have the money for an neq6.

Bobsta do you have photos you could post taken with a 200pds on a HEQ5 pro.

Cheers

I have only managed a few sessions out to learn how to image and I still honestly dont have a clue. I have only just tried to learn ps and dss so all my efforts are very amateur but I was and am still over the moon with what I have managed. All my pics are short exposures and unguided but hopefully my link to my flickr photostream works so you can see what Ive managed so far.

http://www.flickr.co...s/79341319@N08/

And if not then search the forums for a thread called "as I see it" and you will see the pics there.

Hope any of this helps.

I'm now away to flock my ota and read up on bias, flats, darks, lights and take paracetamol.

• 4 months later...

Just looking at the commercial images of these scopes on the different websites (including FLO) I need a bit of clarification:

This is what the "basic" HEQ5 looks like:

post-27346-0-38075000-1361231306_thumb.j

The HEQ5 Syntrek looks like this (check the badge!)

post-27346-0-40455200-1361231348_thumb.j

and the HEQ5 Pro Synscan looks like this (check the badge again)

post-27346-0-99197900-1361231394_thumb.j

Interestingly, all the publicity and commercial pictures of the Syntrek show the "pro" on the badge, presumably meaning they've been lazy and used the same image from the Synscan shoot, because the badge is the only telltale visual difference between the two. I imagine the Syntrek hand-controller is superimposed to show that difference too.

But I am right - the Syntrek won't have PRO on the badge - because it's not the PRO version?!

But I am right - the Syntrek won't have PRO on the badge - because it's not the PRO version?!

I would of thought this would of been done to death now !

It's only a badge... the "pro" signifies that the mount would be shipped with the synscan handset, nothing else. The HEQ5 syntrek and HEQ5 Synscan are physically the same mount, employing the same control board, the same motors etc. You can use both the syntrek and synscan versions with an EQDIRECT cable for PC control, you can interchange the hamdsets between them, in other words if you buy a syntrek and then later wanted goto in the field then purchasing the synscan handset would give you this functionality.

At the end of the day, the mount supports the OTA, and will track a target against the earths rotation... regardless of whether it has the words "pro" on a label.

Please do not misunderstand the motivation for my question. This was about the images used in advertising of the different versions of the HEQ5.

After more looking it seems that there isn't much care in matching the scope advertised with the image used.

I noticed that just about all trade adverts for this mount show one with the PRO badge. I would have been surprised if Syntrek HEQ5s were released with PRO on them, but adverts seem to indicate this ... although a Swiss site seemed to "get it right"!

I could certainly understand a customer who gets a Syntrek from a site with a clear depiction of "PRO" on the badge and then being concerned that the wrong model has been delivered because the picture is different (not the case of "I wanted a PRO badge" but merely "can I confirm this is the one I paid for?")

www.green-witch.com are all over the place - they advertise a scope with an HEQ5 basic mount, but illustrate the Syntrek here! (Seventh image down). Hmmm. Can you imagine adding that one to your basket.... "where's the nice white one I expected to see???!!!"

It's a bit like a Renault 5 TL being advertised with a Renault 5 Gordini image (showing my age there :grin: ).

I'm a bit OCD about precision (my poor wife) so these little details clash in my head! In a hobby with so many tools, so much specification choice, so much specification alteration, ... things like this don't help when trying to clarify and sort out in one's head what is going on.

I would of thought this would of been done to death now !

...wasn't my intention to step on any toes. Just trying to unravel a confusion propagated by the adverts all over the place. Apologies. :hiding:

I thought you were going over the old ground of the difference between a syntrek and synscan... which as stated has been covered time and time again.

As far as advertising is concerned, I personally don't find it that misleading if two versions of the same mount use the same stock image. Unless both show the synscan handset, but one states syntrek, then that would be misleading and false advertising.

Archived