Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Light Report - Orion XT8

atmenterprises

Got my XT8 in today and put it together earlier. It's been rainy and cloudy today but we got a little break a few minutes ago.

Dragged Parker outside (she's awkward and heavy, so I just had to "park her" a few steps away!) and I turned the scope upward with the supplied 25mm EP.

While I wasn't able to track down anything interesting, I was floored at the number of stars in the viewfinder! There are so many more than I could see without the scope!

Hoping for some clearer skies later in the week, but for now I have had my taste of astronomy and I can't wait to get back out under the stars again.

I got Parker out again last night. Seeing conditions were poor. I only had a view of the western sky from my location but couldn't find anything recognizable except Vega and Denalb (?). Gave up after about an hour. I really need to learn the sky better.

For those interested, my dSLR can't achieve back focus as-is, so the primary is going to have to come up the tube.

M57 is indead nice but with only the 25mm EP it will be hard to see. It's really small so at that magnification it looks like an out of focus star.

To make your scope more useful you'll need to add a high power EP. I would recommend a 13mm and a 6mm EP. That way you'll be able to have a closer look at planets and small DSOs such as M57.

I don't usually go around telling people to spend more money but with just a widefield EP you'll be limited and won't take the most out of your scope.

Congrats on your new scope. You will be able to see quite a lot with it.

There is no right way and wrong way to find objects but whatever method you choose, practice really does make perfect. If these are your first ventures out, i'd suggest going for a few objects that are quite easy to find.

M31 / M32 / M110 are an obvious galactic target and a very impressive view.

M103 although by far not the most impressive open cluster is easy to find just to the East of Delta Andromedae (the second star from the left of the W).

M57 the Ring nebula as mentioned above. Use the larger eyepiece to help identify, then magnify it up with the 10mm.

M13 in Hercules is a fine globular cluster and still visible in the Western evening sky.

Clear skies!

Congrats on your new scope. You will be able to see quite a lot with it.

M103 although by far not the most impressive open cluster is easy to find just to the East of Delta Andromedae (the second star from the left of the W).

Just a correction should read Delta Cassiopeiae.

Archived