Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NEQ6 Not slewing right.

FarSide

Hi guys, a little worried about my NEQ6. Bit of an odd problem, really.

I'm running my mount off of mains power PSU and i just set it up via my laptop using the EQDIR/CDC set up and i'm having bizarre slewing problems - it refused to slew right. For example if i have the scope aligned correctly, it will slew left/north west, but it refuses to slew right/ towards the east/south east to say jupiter or the moon or anything else rising in the east. It makes the noise as if slewing, the revving of the motors, but doesn't actually turn. This happens whether i use the handset or Cartes due Ceil and the EDIR lead. Any ideas on what the problem is?

Worrying.

Thanks.

Yeah, it's perfectly balanced; i can move the whole mount east easily without any problems. That said, i've not see the RA move at all tonight, only the DEC when slewing westward? I noticed earlier that when slewing to M13 that the scope basically pointed towards the ground and didn't lift to where m13 should be which i assume the RA would help with.

this kinda suggests one of the clutches is not tightened up properly to me, if you can move the telescope around by hand without slackening off the clutches they need tightening up. If there is not enough travel to fully tighten them, unscrew the plastic lever, underneath is a brass head with fine ridges that grip the lever, screw this in until you just feel resistance, then replace the lever so it has some travel either side and screw it back on, you should now be able to fully tighten the clutches using the lever.

how long have you had the mount, is this the first time you have used it, has it always done this, did you get it as new?

sorry for the questions, no offence meant.

We won't tell a soul in here but for those newbies out there reading this in a search later, after balancing the clutches have to be closed, locked or engaged (take your pick) :grin:
one advantage of leaving the clutches undone is you never have to worry about a meridian flip :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Blame Apple for the typos and me for the content

Archived