Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

jupiter first attempt

bottletopburly

Capture 29_09_2012 23_13_19 3rd.bmp my first attempt of jupiter not the best i will admit hope for better in the coming weeks havea street lamp in the way at the moment but hopefully once it gets higher then maybe better seeing conditions for a better photo there is some great shots on here lately so hopefully i will be able to get better with practice

I use a 2x Celestron ultima barlow lens. The best view I've had of Jupiter is through a 25mm eyepiece and 2x barlow lens. Through the 5mm it was big but way too smudgy and even at 10mm it was a little bit rough and not very clear!

Yes, I used a Canon EOS 1100d dslr. With an slr, you can't use (or atleast I've never used) a barlow lens and the image below is the image you'll get without any editing. It may look small but it just shows you that you can get good images by just using a slr instead of a webcam. Of course, slr is particularly useful for deep sky objects but as you've just seen, it can take surprisingly good, detailed images of planets as well.

post-14882-0-96681200-1349108520_thumb.j

Great pic, it's nice to see a few more bands on there, I've got the 130P and only really get the two red bands showing through the EP. You'll want a better barlow as the standard skywatcher one isn't that great. But it's great to start out with. try taking a short avi, allow jupiter to run through the scope, you might get a min or so without having to adjust your scope. so set it just before it comes into view, and then get recording, and stack them all with registax, if you can get to grips with that program, i've taken a few avi's but each time i get a stacked smudge, maybe you'll have better look.

Either way, great attempt :)

The problem with using the DSLR is that you need to take the image at the exact moment when there is very little atmospheric disturbance which is a challenge to say the least; a bit like wining the loto so Steele has done an amazing job :cool: !

As I understand it you (if you are really interested in good images of the planets) would be better using a planetary video camera; this allows you to take thousands of images in a short time and using free software (such as Registax) you only use the best frames with the lowest levels of disturbance and stack to make a higher detailed image with less noise. The only downside is that you don't get as much satisfaction as winning the loto / capturing the moment in one shot :smiley:!

Archived