Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC6992 Eastern Veil Nebula 3 ways

dave_galera

As an experiment I thoiught I would take the Eastern Veil and process it three different ways just to see what I would get. All subs are 600s taking 4hours each of Ha, OIII and SII.

I then processed created images in RGB = Ha/OIII/OIII, OIII/Ha/SII and SII/Ha/OIII which of course is the HST palette. The results are show below.

NGC6992-Eastern-Veil-Nebula-HOO.jpg

NGC6992-Eastern-Veil-Nebula-OHS.jpg

NGC6992-Eastern-Veil-Nebula-HST.jpg

Beautiful images :) I like the first most - it more closely matches my colour images of this object. I notice that the SII appears to add nothing in the last two images where it's included. Did you actually get anything much in SII?

Beautiful images :) I like the first most - it more closely matches my colour images of this object. I notice that the SII appears to add nothing in the last two images where it's included. Did you actually get anything much in SII?

Thanks Gina, as you guessed there was very little SII but there was some buts it gets swamped by the OIII channel as it seems to be in the same place. As I said this was just an experiment, will set if I can pull out more SII.

I prefer version 2 mi'self (OHS) its just different to what you normally see.

Very nice indeed I like the first one best I think.

Thanks Mark, however spot the deliberate mistake on the right hand edge. You look and look at an image to make sure you have got it all right and then something like that slips through the net.....grrrrrrrr!!

Hi Gena,

To answer your question, it looks like the SII is in the exact same place as the OIII so it does add quite lot, removing it changes the colour completely.....so what you are seeing is a composite colour generated by both the OIII and the SII. Narrow band imaging is all new to me, so if any experienced narrow band imagers can throw a bit more light on it, it would be appreciated.

Hi Dave. FIghting images bursting with attitude! No shortage of signal there, then!!

I think each has its merits, the second one seeming to distinguish between gasses maybe more than the others though the first is closer to RGB as Gina says.

Have you tried a mono presentation? I'd love to see what it would give.

Olly

Hi Dave. FIghting images bursting with attitude! No shortage of signal there, then!!

I think each has its merits, the second one seeming to distinguish between gasses maybe more than the others though the first is closer to RGB as Gina says.

Have you tried a mono presentation? I'd love to see what it would give.

Olly

Hi Olly, thanks and glad you liked it, still getting to grips with all this lot....very sloooowly!!

Here you go Sir, a monochrome version. I looked at all three versions and the HST (SII/Ha/OIII) gave the best tonal range and the greatest detail, so this image is the HST image converted to B+W using the channel mixer in PS5. Just hope I have not overdone the contrast a bit, I think there is detail in all the highlights (just).

NGC6992-Eastern-Veil-Nebula-HST-BW.jpg

Dave - take a look at the narrowband colour tone tutorial posted by Anna Morris http://www.eprisephoto.com/building-a-narrowband-image . She used this exact target and showed you can get some very interesting color variations on NGC6992 which is different/beyond what most people post on. You've got some great data there, so maybe have a shot at it.

Dave - take a look at the narrowband colour tone tutorial posted by Anna Morris http://www.eprisepho...arrowband-image . She used this exact target and showed you can get some very interesting color variations on NGC6992 which is different/beyond what most people post on. You've got some great data there, so maybe have a shot at it.

Martin, thanks for link, very interesting I will certainly have a go.

What is more interesting is the way Anna handles images and does the stretching, I have only been astro-imaging for about 10months so anything I can learn moves me on a bit, thanks again.

Regards,

Dave - take a look at the narrowband colour tone tutorial posted by Anna Morris http://www.eprisepho...arrowband-image . She used this exact target and showed you can get some very interesting color variations on NGC6992 which is different/beyond what most people post on. You've got some great data there, so maybe have a shot at it.

Thank you for the link - I'll try it too :)

Archived