Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar filters

Marceagle

I am lost , i would like to view our Sun through a celestron astromaster 114eq, now i know it can cause serious eye damage if not done correctly so i need some tips. What filters do i need ? is it eye piece filter or full aperture filter ?

Many thanks for the anticipated help

Thanks

Never attept to view the Sun with an eyepiece filter alone, or you will do irreparable damage to your vision! There are, as far as I know, three ways to observe the Sun in safety. Firstly, the Sun can be projected from the telescope eyepiece onto a screen. Secondly, by using a Herschel prism ( fitted with a No.3 or darker neutral density filter ) and eyepiece. Thirdly, by using a special solar filter over the front of the telescope, such as BAADER SolarFilm.

Liverpool has an excellent astronomical society ( one of the oldest in the UK ) and I'd recommend that you get in touch with them for advice on all things astronomical.

A full aperture filter is a must have! Don't just use the EP filters because they will break! You can either make one yourself using Baader Astrosolar Safety Film or you can buy one ready made!

I wouldn't recommend projection with a scope that size because you could damage the EP's.

Archived