Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Plate solving and goto with AstroTortilla

RogerTheDodger

OK, I had a go with AT. If you already have a cygwin installation and have installed astrometry in /usr/local/astrometry ( as is the default ), then you need to edit /etc/profile and put the line

PATH=/usr/local/astrometry/bin:$PATH

in it

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sounds interesting. I failed miserably trying to get Elbrus to work on Win7.

What's the system overhead like, I use a netbook at the moment for capture?

So, can you use this completely offline / query a local database. if you don't have network access for example?

Hmmm guess I need to go RTFM properly :shocked:

Is AstroTortilla creating and managing some kind of pointing model itself that results in the improved goto?, or is it just providing a sync that EQMOD then uses in the usual way to to build its own internal model?

Chris.

Chris, I checked last night and AT does update EQMOD, so initial GoTos do improve.

all the index files downloaded ready for extracting and a thought occurred to me. In the user guide the bz2 files are placed in the path C:\cygwin\usr\share\astrometry\data\. Could I place them on an external drive and point the programmes at that new location for the Fits files?

As you're using cygwin, which is kind of unix, you should be able to go into the astrometry folder, delete the data folder and create a symbolic link called data which points to the folder with the files in:

ln -s /path/to/files data

if nothing else works, that is. This will point the data folder to another location

Sent from my GT-I9100

Just taking a look at this myself. I've downloaded and installed version 0.3 and also installed the 210+ index. As I'm not connected to my scope at the moment and don't have APT (I prefer BackyardEOS) I've selected the ASCOM simulator and chosen "Open file dialog" in the Camera section. However, the chooser under Solver is greyed out, as are all three Actions. When I click on Capture and Solve, a file chooser pops up and I've select a jpeg of M45 (a snapshot taken with BYE). The image appears to solve OK but the actions remain greyed out Am I missing something somewhere?

I think you can. You have to make "symbolic links" from C:\cygwin\usr\share\astrometry\data\ to the actual place. I do this, in cygwin terminal, by going to the C:\cygwin\usr\share\astrometry\data\ directory and, assuming your index fits files are in drive F:

cd /usr/share/astrometry/data
ln -s /cygdrive/f/index-219.fits .

and so on , for each file.

Just taking a look at this myself. I've downloaded and installed version 0.3 and also installed the 210+ index. As I'm not connected to my scope at the moment and don't have APT (I prefer BackyardEOS) I've selected the ASCOM simulator and chosen "Open file dialog" in the Camera section. However, the chooser under Solver is greyed out, as are all three Actions. When I click on Capture and Solve, a file chooser pops up and I've select a jpeg of M45 (a snapshot taken with BYE). The image appears to solve OK but the actions remain greyed out Am I missing something somewhere?

I've found the actions are only available when I'm connected to a mount. Is your simulator working fully - is there a green "tracking" showing near the top of AstroTortilla?

Edit: gah! Replied before seeing your second message...

I'm currently doing the same as pwalsh and using the ascom simulator which is being thrown around the sky by StarryNights Pro and AT sees as tracking but I'm unable to get a plate solve on even a simple file image. Could I pinch one of the images that someone has used to get a plate solve in AT so I can check my setup please

Archived