Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EP recommendation for Skywatcher 250px Dob

mistuk

Hi all,

I'm about to purchase a Skywatcher 250px Dob with GOTO and am guessing that I probably wont get the best out of it with the included EPs....

What would you knowledgeable folks on here recommend getting to go with this scope?

I am thinking about getting the Baader Hyperion Zoom Mk 3, but will need something lower power too....

I understand that this scope can be a bit unforgiving with EPs....

Was considering a Skywatcher Aero ED 2" 35mm....

Hope you can help!

mistuk

I have the 250PX OTA on my own dob mount. It's true that it is not kind on eyepieces. Before this morning I had a combination of Baader Genuine Orthos with a few eyepieces from the Revelation kit filling in the gaps, including their 32mm ep for "wide field" views. The BGOs are lovely, though the field of view is narrow and they're getting harder to find if you want to buy them new. The Revelation eps just can't cope though and the 32mm suffers problems all over the place, so I have bought a 27mm Panoptic to replace it. That arrived this morning so I've had no chance to try it yet.

Others I considered were the Explore Scientific eyepieces and the Meade 5000 UWA series. Reading other peoples' comments about them suggests that they'd be pretty good, but perhaps not as perfect to the edge as a Tele Vue. If I'm honest I'd probably have bought one of these if the Pan hadn't come up second hand at the perfect time and I'd have lived with the "not quite perfect" view on the grounds that I might be able to afford more than one this year :)

James

I have a 10" F5 and the Explore Scientifics are affordable and perform very, very well. Haven't used a TV to compare but best to maybe google reviews/comparisons. I believe the SW Aero is supposed to be good, but the exit pupil might be stretching it a bit at 7mm

Barry

I can highly recommend the ES 82 eyepieces, i have the set except the 30mm. They work well at F5, nicely built and finished, well corrected and good value. But at the moment it would be worth taking advantage of the Meade 5000 UWA offer Telescope House have. Same eyepiece as the ES82 but only £116 delivered for the smaller focal lengths. These are definitely superior to the Baader Hyperion range for only a little more.

Aero ED is not bad, i had one for a while, the 30mm. But once i looked through a 24mm ES 82 i sold the Aero and started collecting ES 82's.

Naglers are better but not hugely and certainly, in my opinion, not enough to offset the cost difference.

Thanks for the suggestions all... Lots to think about.... and money to spend!!

:-)

Yes - it comes as quite a shock when you tot up a couple decent eyepieces and find you have spent more than the scope cost !

• 3 weeks later...

Would the vixen npl range work ok with this scope? If not what kind of minimum spend per ep,be needed?

tony

Yes, the Vixen NPL's are good plossl eyepieces so would work well enough with this scope. The BST Explorers seem to do quite well with these too - they cost a bit more than the Vixen NPL's at around £45 each.

Cheers John, thats good to know. I've got a sw explorer 130 at the moment and im going to upgrade in March. Was thinking of the 200p but I want to go as big as I can. Only visual and from my garden, light pollution isn't that bad. On a average night can make out the milky way. I was just concerned about the ep cost, with it being a fast scope.I already have a 8mm npl and I really like The look and feel. I'm just glad to hear, they will work OK, with this scope.

tony

Archived