Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EOS 30D, any thoughts please?

nickdud

i am thinking of buying an eos 30d (second hand,body only, about £250) as an upgrade to my 350d.

the camera world seems to be a bit of a minefield at the moment with plenty to choose from. as i have 2 efs lense' already it should lower the cost a bit.

(i wont be trading the 350 in tho as it was a last gift from dad)

anyone out there own a 30d or any thoughts on a same price alternative?

cheers:D

Hi

I upgraded from 350d to a used 40d last year. The build quality on the X0D series is loads better (60d being the exception), and the bigger screen makes it much easier to judge photographs. Auto focus also feels a bit better, but lenses seem a major factor in this as well. The body is also physically bigger, but I like that as I have big hands. The XX0D series cameras now feels like flimsy toys.

However if it is for astro usage, I'm not sure there is a big advantage in upgrading. I'm not sure about the noise in the 30d. I'd rate my 40d less noisy than the 350d, but it is really more about how predictable the noise is for astro usage. The slight increase in weight will also put a bit more load on the mount. The 30d does not have liveview, which makes focussing much easier for astro stuff (450d and 40d onwards have this).

250£ seems a tad high IMHO. That is roughly what I gave for a lightly used (less than 20K shutter activations) 40d last year.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently upgraded my 1000D to the 40D, which may seem mad at first seeing their relative ages. But the 40D is leap and bounds better. Build quality is in a different league to the 350D-550D. It feels good in the hand, the grip is a good size and it feels better balanced. I like to photograph cars when possible and the superior shooting rate of the 40D really comes into its own.

I agree with the comment about that 30D being too pricey, i paid £200 for the 40D body. And there wasn't exactly a shortage to choose from at that price.

Archived