Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tele-Vue 40mm Wide Field

alan potts

They were Al Nagler's attempt to improve on the Erfle design I think. I used to have the 1.25" ones - 15mm, 19mm and 24mm. 65 degree field of view and nice eyepieces in the F/8 - F/10 scopes I owned back then. They were replaced with the Panoptics which are a lot sharper at the edges of the field in faster scopes. The eye relief was quite tight I seem to recall.

.....Thanks for that. I would have put a great deal of money on the answer coming from you. I have never seen them before but thought they were before the Panoptics.....

It's a bit sad isn't it :undecided:

I've never used a Radian or a Delos though so my TV eyepiece experience is far from complete !

No not at all, I value what you have to say. BTW I found my long lost 2 cousins while I was in England as a result of an ols Christmas card, they live in Somerset but sadly I didnt have time to visit.

I will find out exactly where and PM you just to see if it is near you, I know it's north somerset for one of them.

Alan.

Anyone believe this spells the end of Radian? Alan

I asked this very question to David Nagler at Astrofest in Feb of this year. They had the Delos 17.3mm on display. He said "we haven't ordered any more Radians". I think that statement, and the fact that they are disappearing from dealers stock (mainly the shorter focal lengths still available) means that the Radian are on the way out. Shame, as I'm a Radian fan, I love the eyerelief and relatively small size & weight compared with other TV eyepieces.

I also asked David if there would be any longer focal lengths than the 17.3 Delos, and if they could replace the Panoptics, he said no plans for that at the moment.

David is just like his dad, friendly and very approachable.

Regards, Ed.

Sad if the Radians go, when all is said and done the Delos, as good as it may well be is a fair bit more money. Time to mop up any that I need S/H then. In truth the only one I want is a 3mm for those very good nights with the 115mm APM. I want a 6mm Delos or Ethos as well. That will conclude my eyepiece buying for a while.

Alan.

Archived