Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just bagged The Crab

SwampStar

Managed some sort of bright core and an elongated shape to M1 this morning. Taurus was very high and clear, bit better than the normal light polluted view,

Nick.

I included M1 in my list for last night and was pleasantly surprised - the best view I've ever had of it (except with a "real" scope), with a clear shape even with direct vision, and a hint of detail - mottling and darker areas - with averted vision. My UHC filter didn't help much so I stuck to unfiltered. It was best at the lowest mag (x37.5, 5" Mak) I could get, as even though the sky brightness was higher, the Crab itself stood out far more clearly. I've found this before - folks say there's no point in using a 40mm EP with a 5" Mak, nevertheless the combination works well with certain low surface brightness Messier objects.

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oddly, the Crab was one of the quickest DSOs I've found so far (and that's not many!). I moved out from Aldebaran to Z Tauri and scanned around slightly to the NW and dropped right on it. Couldn't see any detail, (if there's any to see!) but I'm pretty sure it was M1. As it seems to be one of the more difficult ones, it's quite encouraging as I'm still not quite sure of the capabilities of my set up.

• 2 weeks later...

Im glad that Im not the only eprson to have strugged with M1. I have found it a few times in the Dob, but its always somewhat of a disappointing sight to say the least. Still, its impressive when you think of what you are looking at.

Dave.

PS Nothing wrong with becoming a Messier nerd! Welcome to the club.

I found M1 really tricky to start with, looked for it a good 4 or 5 times without success, then one night, lined up where i thought it was and i was directly on it.

I use to find when i started, i expected them to be absoloutely massive with signs and arrows pointing to it! So i didn't notice all these little smudges ;)

Archived