SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Just bagged The Crab

SwampStar

After about 45 minutes looking around the wrong star (Jupiter was in the way) I've finally managed to spot the Crab Nebula. Even though tonight was the clearest sky in months it was still really tricky to make out; it was a very faint fuzzy patch which needed averted vision and a good few minutes with my eye against the EP.

Is this one of the nebulae that would benefit from a filter?

Anyway...M1 in the bag!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations of bagging M1. Not one of the easier ones, despite its position being such that it is quite easy to find.

There are a few good clustes to see at the moment;

Open clusters:- M29 and M39 in Cygnus are both nice. M34 is rising in Perseus and M52 in Casseopeia is worth a look.

Globular clusters:- M13 and M92 in Hercules are both impressive. M15 in Pegasus is also worth a look.

I would also try and find M27 (the Dumbbell nebula) and M57 (the Ring nebula) for a couple of contrasting planetary nebulae in terms of size.

Well done Swampstar, M1 is a tricky one which can be hard to get. I've managed in binos from a dark site, plus a few times in the scope but it is not exactly spectacular!

Depending on the scope aperture you are using, a UHC or OIII filter should help darken the background and improve contrast, though they may dim things if you are not well dark adapted. They may also help bring some detail out but don't expect miracles.

There is a thread on here about it, will post if I can find it.

Stu

It took me literally years before I found it so you've done very well. It just took a decent dark sky in the end and it was quite easy, but really just a grey smudge. Amazing when you think what it is though.

Stu

Congratulations on spotting the Crab !

It's one that, given it's "fame", you would think would be more spectacular but, through small to moderate sized scopes, it's not jaw dropping. Doesn't look much like a crab either ! (to me at least).

I find an O-III filter enhances it's contrast.

Fascinating to think that the supernova that created the Crab was observed by astronomers back in 1054 ! (I think this is correct ?)

I do not know if an O-III filter is ideal for a 130mm scope. A UHC might be better.

Mine is the Astronomik which is fine even in my 102mm but many O-III filters would not be so suitable and I'd agree that a UHC is a better bet overall for a 130mm aperture.

Congratulations on finding the Crab nebula. It took me many, many attempts when I first looked for it (all those years ago :eek::rolleyes: ). I remember my first observation of it with a 4.5" scope and how happy I was to finally find it. As you discovered it's not the most spectacular of objects once found, offering just a homogenously bright object with no structure in most amateur scopes. As has been stated though, what it is makes it amongst the most sort after and fascinating of all deep sky objects.:)

• 1 month later...

Very lucky find, I spent and hour and half at 3deg C looking for it last night and went to bed a bit dejected :huh: nothing worse than a whole lot of effort and no find. To cap it all the moon came up at 12 and I really should have given up at that point, but my old friend Orion was up so swapped nebula's!!

So this another averted vision object, bit like the triangulum galaxy?? I usually find that once you have found it you will be able to find it again....Just got to get the first Find :rolleyes:

Like many galaxies and nebulae, this is one that needs dark skies. Any moonlight or light pollution and it becomes difficult or impossible to pick up. A UHC or O-III filter helps it stand out a little better though.

Very lucky find, I spent and hour and half at 3deg C looking for it last night and went to bed a bit dejected :huh: nothing worse than a whole lot of effort and no find. To cap it all the moon came up at 12 and I really should have given up at that point, but my old friend Orion was up so swapped nebula's!!

So this another averted vision object, bit like the triangulum galaxy?? I usually find that once you have found it you will be able to find it again....Just got to get the first Find :rolleyes:

...it nearly took me a year to find these to...dark skies as always..is the answer!

Like many galaxies and nebulae, this is one that needs dark skies. Any moonlight or light pollution and it becomes difficult or impossible to pick up. A UHC or O-III filter helps it stand out a little better though.

Ok, at present I don't use any filters at all, though it is clear that they may be wirth a try. How much are these and can you point me in the right direction on the web to find these. I have a fair degree of light pollution, sodium street light to the northeast and the south but can still see the milky way on a clear night, so not too bad. would these filters have a dramatic effect??

Thanks

Chris

They have a dramatic effect on a few nebulae, and some effect on some more (I'd include M1 in this group). They work by blocking unwanted light, allowing a narrower group of wavelengths through including the ones emitted by nebulae. So they don't make an object brighter but they increase it's contrast by varying amounts against the background sky. In your scopes a UHC filter might be more effective than the more aggressive O-III type.

The Skywatcher ones work well I believe:

http://www.firstligh...uhc-filter.html

Bear in mind that they don't improve the views of other deep sky objects such as galaxies so these are just for nebulae.

Well done on catching the Crab! I got it last weekend and was chuffed to bits. Had a look at it last night again, and now it is easier to find.

I bagged 'The Eskimo Nebula' last night, took over an hour to find. Seems fainter than the Crab, but was lower from where I was.

Well done again.

Archived