NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

first ever viewing of the andromeda galaxy

luna 2011

hiya all,i managed to get my scope out since fitting it with a telrad.i decided to test it out on finding the andromeda galaxy and found it first time and what a sight it was,im still new to this and its now getting very exiting and hope to track down more deep sky objects.please mention any easy to find targets it would be great.my scope is now grounded until i get the parts as it developed a crack in its mount. many blessed clear skies to you all :o)

Just been out and was determined to wait for M42. I've missed Orion (sad?) and especially Bellatrix, my favourite star!

But you're right...Andromeda was stunning tonight. Being straight up made it a bit tricky to get the scope that way. Still finding out how to work it! Well done.

Orion got quite high this morning.M42 and the Trapezium were cracking.If you go to the lowest star in the belt, just directly below this you'll find Sigma Orionis, a superb multiple star group, then move down to NGC1981 a good cluster above the nebula, nice,

Nick.

Congratulations of finding M31. Were you able to see either companion galaxy? M32 is smaller but quite bright too and well worth spending some time spotting.

Other good viewing ideas include;

Galaxies: M81 and M82 (in UMa)

Open clusters: M29 and M39 (in Cyg), M52 and NGC 7789 Caroline's Rose (Cas), M34 and the Double cluster (Per)

Globular clusters: M15 (Peg), M13 and M92 (Her)

Planetary nebulae: M27 the Dumbbell nebula (Vul), M57 the Ring nebula (Lyr) and NGC 7009 the Saturn nebula (Aqr) are nice targets.

Other nebulae: M42 and M43 (Ori). This rises quite late at the moment but will become more favourable and is a stunner.

Happy hunting!

• 3 months later...

Archived