Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

As Idiots Go....

I am right up there!!

Lately I have found myself becoming more & more interested in the area of splitting tight double stars. Last nights challenge was to split Zeta Herculis. I knew from previous posts this was a tough cookie to crack and a good test of telescope optics.

I used Delta Cygni as a feeler to test the conditions, and managed a nice clean split at 214x. I was good to go...

A quick double check of the collimaton later I slewed around onto Zeta Herculis, and with the same eyepiece.....

Nothing, not even a hint if seperation, Nada??

I had read this target needs some magnification so I switched to the 10mm XW/1.6 Barlow (240x),

still nothing!

Back in went the 7mm XW & the barlow for 343x and amazingly.....

Still nothing??

I spent an hour straining at the eyepiece before giving up. Convinced that the optics in the dob just weren't up to the job, I packed up and went back in for a cuppa, and some Googling for more info on this tough double.

Google rarely lets me down, and it certainly provided me with a conclusive answer to my earlier struggles. As it turns out, the seeing was excellent, the optics in the scope are fine, but Damo was positioned on the "WRONG" star!!

I will have another crack at it tonight, and hopefully with my new found knowledge of the night sky, will have a bit more luck!

ha ha - been there and done that Damo! when I split this is was only really cleanly split above 450x and very obvious at 600x but this was more intermittent. the seeing was good that night as you imagine and I could not split it with full aperture, only with my 6.7" mask. Delta Cygni is easy by comparison.

Archived