Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

(Not a great) Andromeda widefield

Quite annoyed with myself for not getting the focus better on this. I wonder if I nudged the lens at some point as I took a few other shots and they look much better. We learn from such errors however :)

10 subs of 4 minutes with an unmodded 450D and 200mm f/2.8L on an unguided EQ3-2, plus darks.

andromeda-small.png

Wide field is fun, when you can find the target :) I shall try to do some more over the coming months.

James

Focused or not it's still a nice picture. :)

I'll ask the same question as I did in another thread, did you use an LP filter?

No, no LP filter. The lens has a Hoya Skylight filter attached for daytime use and I decided in the end not to remove it because it's easier to keep the dew off, but as it happens we had no dew to speak of anyway :) I will remove it next time as it's probably clipping a bit of the blue. I have no reason to believe it would filter any light pollution regardless.

James

Since eliot made me think of it, posting about his (much better) image of M31, there is no post-processing to remove any gradients or anything like that in this image either. Just a bit of levels and curves to bring out the detail.

James

Archived