Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Using a 2" filter with 1.25" Eyepieces

Joguj

I'll be buying a 2" Baader Neodymium filter for my 12" Orion 35mm eyepiece which I really like. I'll get this from FLO but is there any way to get some adaptor to use this with 1.25" eyepieces as well if I want a bit more magnification? I don't want to buy 2 filters unless I really need to.

Thanks

Does your scope accept 2" eyepiece? If it has a 1.25" focuser then the 2" filter or 2" eyepiece would be pointless.

Also if you only own 1.25" eyepieces, then buying the 1.25" filters can save you a lot of money.

Apart from size, optically a 2" and a 1.25" filter is the same.

Quite a lot of 1.25" - 2" adapters are threaded for 2" filters at the 2" end. You need to add a 14mm Hyperion Fine Tuning ring to space the filter away from the 1.25" socket a bit, just in case a long barreled 1.25" eyepiece contacts the filter and marks it.

Edit: I've got to type faster - beaten to it twice in 3 minutes !

slowcoach! they may seem OTT 2" filters but the good thing for me is that if you are observing and want to change 1.25" eyepieces, you don't have to keep swapping expensive filters with (my) clumsy fingers in the dark risking that awful tinkling sound.

My adaptors are not threaded. I'll buy one with the filter. I presume I'll then need to unscrew it from the 2" eyepiece and put it on the adaptor to use the 1.25" eyepieces with it? Bit of a faff but seems the better solution than buying both sizes of filter.

Before I purchase, for a general deep sky visual improvement is the Baader Neodymium considered the best buy? What are the pros and cons with the Baader OIII and UHC's? My skies from home are pretty good, milky way visible most nights, at least looking South. I want a filter to give me that little bit more contrast and I want to buy a good one, hence opting for Baader. I'll no doubt end up buying more, but what is a best allrounder for taking LP out and enhancing nebula?

if you can see the MW most nights I'd not worry about light pollution - I wish I could.

I have the Baader Neodymium and never us it for LP (even though I suffer lots). for me it's a moon/Jupiter/Mars filter only.

I'd suggest a UHC would provide the widest range of benefits especially at your aperture, but personally an Oiii reveals objects not visible without even in good skies so it would be an Oiii for me.

I have the Orion Centring Adaptor and use the with the 14mm FTR for 1.25" ep's and it works perfectly well, the centering ring and the FTR's both take 2" filters. I see on ebay they have the same adaptor under the Antares label, or the Orion at Telescope House: http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Orion_Precision_Eyepiece_Centering_Adaptor__2513.html

Archived