Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

blurred image with 10mm eyepiece

For around £100 you have plenty to choose from;

Meade-Series-5000-HD-60-Eyepiece 9mm - £86 Telescope House

Televue plossl at either 8mm or 11mm - £78 Telescope house

Celestron X-Cel LX 9mm - £69 - FLO

BGO 9mm - £75 - FLO (I think they're out of stock right now)

Explore Scientific 70 degree 10mm - £52 Telescope House

Vixen NPL 10mm - £30 FLO

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, plenty to choose from.

My only additional comment would be that a direct replacement for the 10mm may not be the best option if you want the best planetary views. Depending upon the quality of your barlow, you normally get better performance just using a shorter f/l ep unless it is a very expensive one.

I would suggest maybe an 8 or 7mm to give either x150 or x171, plus a 6mm for x200. That should give you some good planetary options.

Stu

Yep, plenty to choose from.

My only additional comment would be that a direct replacement for the 10mm may not be the best option if you want the best planetary views. Depending upon the quality of your barlow, you normally get better performance just using a shorter f/l ep unless it is a very expensive one.

I would suggest maybe an 8 or 7mm to give either x150 or x171, plus a 6mm for x200. That should give you some good planetary options.

Stu

True.

There are many fans of the BGO's in the shorter focal lengths and they are very well thought of. I quite like the Meade super plossls for the 60 degree FOV but the TV plossls are obviously excellent too :grin:

Shockingly bad doesn't strike me as being normal. I've got a SW 200p dob and still use the 25mm and the 10mm and if I am honest I am quite impressed with the 10mm even with all the bad reviews, there are no blurring issues, although I do not own a barlow so cannot say what it is like with one of those. I could see saturn very well when it was up a few months ago and it handles star cluster/globs well too. I know it can be bettered and I am in the process of upgrading it to enjoy better views, but so far it has done a good job for me.

thanks very much for everyones help. with everyoned help im sure its the eyepiece that needs changing.

im still open to suggestions as to recommended eyepieces for planetary viewing and filters if needed. thanks everyone.

i had a chance to try another eyepiece that was bought to my house lastnight from a starter scope. it was a 9mm meade.

the views were crystal clear through it.

the 10mm plossl that was supplied with my scope truely is the most awful eyepiece ive ever tried to look through. there must be something wrong with the way the lense was made.

thanks for everyones help.

Archived