Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Beginners first light Skywatcher 130 PM

Rogue Leader

Ordered on a Saturday afternoon my telescope arrived first thing Tuesday morning, thanks very much to the folks at FLO great service and a great price. Setting up took about an hour or so, even after reading all about the scope when researching which one to buy I was still surprised by the size of it.

Did not manage to get any viewing in that night but after work on Wednesday managed to get out in the garden and align the finderscope (red dot), then watch the clouds roll in. Spent the rest of the week studying the manual and playing with the setting circles in the conservatory watching brilliant clear days turn into cloudy nights.

Finally yesterday looked like it was going to be fine, set up early in the garden and waited for the sun to set. Did a rough polar alignment and set the circles and all seemed to go well except I could not get anything into view by using the circles. Decided to just play about and enjoy myself, started off looking at Jupiter, found it fairly easy with the finder scope and it was reasonable central in the eyepiece. Started at 25mm then tried to go for the 10mm. Struggled to get it centred with the 10mm and see anything reasonable, so bearing in mind I have no idea i went for the barlow and 25mm and that looked really great. Saw a fair amount of detail and 4 moons.

After that looked around at several different stars and tried to find M31 but it was just blocked by my neighbours house. All in all very impressed spent a couple of hours looking at whatever came into the eyepiece.

As a complete beginner I would say that the extra increase in the amount of stars that you see once you step up to a telescope from binoculars is unbelievable, re the 10mm eyepiece I have not collimated the scope at all or even checked it, though a collimation tool is on the list for this week, so may be struggling there before I even start. The red dot finder is ok, sometimes I can see through it fine and I think what a wonderful invention other times I swear at it, but like I say I am a complete beginner.

As for the setting circle problem I think I have found out what I was doing wrong, the Skywatcher instructions for the EQ 2 actually give you the wrong information, I downloaded a second set of much better instructions from Orion in the US who sell the same mounts under their own name and it has all become clear today whilst I was reading them, unfortunately it has started to rain and cloud over so doubt I will have chance to check them tonight as it looks in for the day.

I am going to look at my local astronomy society as I am sure I can benefit form a bit of hands on advice, I have heard very good reports about the Callington astronomy group so will be trying them I think, but I am very impressed with the 130PM, I have one probably very bone question though why does my main tube cap have 2 smaller caps in it as well.

I know this first light has been more about the experience of a beginner and thier scope than the sights I saw but I hope it was enjoyable and maybe informative for other beginners out there.

Mike

Sounds like you're making good, steady progress with the scope and mount. ;)

The two 'holes' in the top can be used for a couple of things...primarily as focusing aids when imaging (you are focused when the views through the two holes merge) but you can also use one of them for stopping down the scope when observing the sun WITH THE CORRECT FILTER.

Good first light report. Glad to hear you are enjoying the new 'scope. I dont use the setting circles as it seems a lot of hastle and I dont know how you are supposed to read 'em in the dark!

Instead get a book (Turn left @ Orion is the best... I should be on comission from them!)and learn the art of star hopping. It is not too bad, I have found loads of stuff with this book and a red dot finder.

You can make the 10mm Skywatcher EP work better by knocking a centre punch through the centre and removing all the glass. It no longer works as an eyepiece (but then mine never did - properly) but makes a nice collimating cap. Make sure you get all the glass out though. The 25mm one is lots better.

Kaptain klevtsov

;):wink: A great modification KK

Practice makes perfect, and that was never more true than when applied to using a telescope.

I agree with Blinky on the circles, unless they are big enough to read and illumiated, they will probably make life difficult for you.

Learn to read the sky yourself, using the constellations and the brighter stars to navigate your way around. It takes a bit of time, but with the aid of a good book, you will master it.

Enjoy the new scope.

Ron. ;)

Archived