Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New CCD camera choice - help needed

x6gas

I am thinking of investing in a new CCD so that I can run two imaging rigs at the same time. (CGEM DX with HD11 @ 2800mm f/l and CG-5 carrying TSAPO906 @ 600mm f/l).

Current imaging rig is Atik 383L+ mono / Atik OAG / EFW2

While I am up for a new camera, I'm not planning on getting another filter wheel so my questions are:

1) OSC camera or another mono with filters screwed into the imaging train

2) Thinking about either the Starlight Xpress SXVR-694 or the Atik 460EX

There are times when I think a OSC would be an advantage with the HD11 - at f/10 I have binned 2x2 with acceptable results anyway so wonder what I'd be losing here...

Any difference between the Starlight and Atik? Obviously they have the same sensor... I have been quite impressed with my 383L but then I have nothing to compare it to and on the other hand the Starlight claims a better delta on the cooling...

So I am interested in thoughts about CCDs generally but otherwise the comparision between the Atik and Starlight in terms of the platform and software support.

Many thanks!

If it was my choice I'd get a cheap (but reliable) manual filter wheel and run the new 2nd mono CCD through that - relatively small outlay probably around £100 for the MWF and then you have much more flexibility on filters, and switching them. I cannot comment on the OSC, but I have a new Atik 460EX to complement my Atik 314L+. All I can say is the 460EX is a fantastic CCD, bigger and lighter than I expected - the big bonus also is it just hooks up immediately & seamlessly to the existing Artemis capture software and the Atik EFW2.

Thanks Martin - anyone else? Must be some Starlight Xpress owners out there with a story to tell!
I have a couple of SX cameras. Just like the Atiks, they do exactly what it says in the tin.

ISTM the Starlight vs. Atik "debate" is much like the Meade vs. Celestron question.

There's little to tell between them so far as technical abilities go, it's more down to the side-issues such as customer care, availability, what accessories/software each works best with and more often than we'd like to believe: who has the better advertising.

I used to love my SX H9, but am more than happy with my Atik 428ex.

The 460 would be a good match for your scope, and binned 2x2 would offer a decent option. I use my 428 with my C11 at F10 and get great results :)

Very nicely made cameras :)

I had the exact same type of problem SX of Atik!

Eventually I went with the 460EX...

It was cheaper (~200 euros here), had a dessicant and didn't have the 4-5 weeks delay in getting it as SX does.

I didn't manage to get first light out of it yet, due to bad weather, but I can confirm that the cooling @ 100% goes to -30 below ambient. (even though it's quoted -25max)

I do agree with pete_l though, that it's jus like who's best "Meade vs Celestron". For me what really made the difference was that Atik had a dessicant, which for me could prove very useful.

I've had similar results with my 460ex... It's pulled off 27 degrees below ambient for me with the cooler not even maxed out.

It's also low-noise that you don't necessarily need to run it that cold. I run mine at -5C but some people choose 0C, although I've not tested that.

Anton

I've had similar results with my 460ex... It's pulled off 27 degrees below ambient for me with the cooler not even maxed out.

It's also low-noise that you don't necessarily need to run it that cold. I run mine at -5C but some people choose 0C, although I've not tested that.

Anton

Did you manage to get first light out of it yet? If so, do you have any pictures that you might share?

Take a look here:

I'm very excited with its performance so far.

I've got matched dark frames, but only needed to use them for 20 minute shots or longer.

Anton

PS: I did look at SXV too but a number of people said that ATIK was proving a bit more reliable at the moment.

[ There are times when I think a OSC would be an advantage with the HD11 - at f/10 I have binned 2x2 with acceptable results anyway so wonder what I'd be losing here... ]

You'd be losing colour !

Dave.

Sorry - that was a bit sloppy of me. My thinking was that if I'm shooting in mono binned 2x2 then I wouldn't be any worse off with a OSC cam which has a 2x2 Bayer matrix.

I've decided, though, that because I want to be able to do narrowband with this camera too that I am better off sticking to a mono.

Delighted with my SXVR-H694, which has been running at -10 all summer. It's attached to an SX filterwheel and OAG.

I'm also especially delighted with any and all contacts I have ever had with SX (mainly questions about buying cameras and bits - they even sent me, free of charge, an M48 adapter plate for the filterwheel that isn't actually listed as being manufactured. Maybe they made it for me).

If I was starting from scratch, I would get the SX. - however as you already have the Atik FW + OAG, I'd probably get the Atik camera.

Good choice. I'll be honest and say that I'd go for the Atik as well.

What did you mean by a 2x2 Bayer Matrix?

Olly

I think the lateness of the hour and one too many glasses of wine meant I wasn't thinking too clearly!

I was thinking about the Bayer matrix on a OSC camera being a 2x2 matrix over the pixels which would correspond to the area of the 2x2 binned pixel. No idea why I thought that was relevant though!

Archived