SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ho hum, another M27

Kaptain Klevtsov

Last night was one of the clearest I've ever seen, with a slight hint of the Milky Way visible at times. The transparency must have been very good as there was very little LP reflecting back off the sky around the zenith.

50 each RGB subs at 60 seconds binned 2X and resized in Maxim. I did 20 L frames at 120 seconds through a CLS filter unbinned but the colour detail disappeared when I layered it on so I didn't bother with it for this image.

1302_normal.jpeg

(click to biggerise)

Skywatcher 8" Newt. on a HEQ5 pier mount, Atik 16HR camera at prime focus. Guided using an SC3 webcam in an old 500mm f/8 camera lens, K3CCD tools and parallel guide interface.

I also had a go with a Dob. (my first) - see observing section.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Oh what a beauty. Very bright and opulent KK I love it to bits that one.

I am astonished you used a 500mm lens to guide. It makes a mockery of the days when the guider fl, had to be twice the fl of the imaging scope. Things certainly have changed.

Ron. ;)

Thanks Ron.

The guiding difference is the space between the pixels compared to how well your eye can get the guide star on the crosshairs. The webcam pixels are IIRC 7 microns apart, so the software can detect a movement of about half of that and correct for it. Its also a lot more fun letting the computer do the guiding for two or three hours. ;)

The current view is that you need to have at least 1/3 of the imaging 'scope FL for the guide 'scope, or that's what I've read.

Kaptain Klevtsov

There's nowt wrong with seeing yet another M27, its always nice to see this one, and I image it a least once or twice each year.

A very nice result indeed you have there, captured the 'ears' very well, lots of detail, and nice colour too.

Glad you are seeing some clear skies at last.

Dave

Archived