SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Meade 5000 UWA - Telescope House prices look good

Andymarrison

Meade have slashed the price of their UWA's and discontinued their SWA (shame they are fab). and replaced their 5000 super plossls with the HD-60's. Not sure what's going on there. They maybe trying to undercut Explore Scientific who are making lenses in exactly the same focal lengths and FOV (they share the same OEM). ES have featured in many cut price sales in the states recently so Meade may be feeling the pressure.

What ever the reason it means that there are some excellent bargais to be had on some of the Meade range which is only good news to my ears as they're very good EP's :smiley:

Yes they are very good value for money, the 30mm is an excellent match for the Nagler, Cloudy Nights reviewed it in very good light and came down on the side of the Meade but this was mainly because of the cost. I have one but have not managed to use it yet as I am In England, still I fly tomorrow so I am looking forward to using it.

Alan.

Best purchase you have made this year... you will love it

You're right Rob - cracking eyepiece. Tried it last night and the wide field is just fantastic. Really sharp and contrasty views - the double-double in Lyra was really easy to split. Tempted by the 30mm now...

I have just tried out the 30mm UWA and it is excellent sharp from edge to edge. I would stress it was only tested to-night in an F7 scope and it is a top quality lens. The eyepiece was a joy to use and I cannot see why anyone would want to buy anything else when these are on offer for 255 pounds form THouse. Money well spent, this really gives the Nagler 31mm a run for its money at less than half price.

Tomorrow I will try it out in my F5.3 scope to see if it is as good.

Alan.

I will be interested in you thoughts on the 30mm in your f5.3 scope Alan. I have found that at f5, the 31mm Nagler has a very slight advantage in edge performance over the 30mm ES. ( IIRC, the Meade and the ES share the same optics) Theres not a lot in it, but I think maybe above f5 the Nagler would really come into its own? I would have to agree though, the Meade is incredible value considering the performance.

Archived