NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

stacking dslr images

northcanadian

Hi folks:

Is it possible to stack several dslr images thru Registax...any advantage to this, and how would one do this as opposed to an avi sequence? Could just one image be run thru Registax wavelets?

Thanks again

Cheers

Roger

Last time I tried it (a long time ago) registax seemed to choke on DSLR files as they're rather big. I think it let you open a sequence of files instead of an avi.

If you want to put one file through wavelets, that's no problem. On v5.1+ if you just open a single file, by default it goes to the wavelets screen.

Yes you can stack DSLR images in Registax - I do it for full disc Solar and Lunar images and it works very well. If you want to stack DSO's then Deep Sky Stacker is the software to use - it is freeware.

To load DSLR images in registax just click on the correct file type when you are in the select images box (eg change .avi to JPEG). Registax will stack quite a range of image types. However you can get into trouble with some types due to file size restrictions and computer memory limits.

I have nearly finished adding Canon RAW file support to PIPP. This allows me to take a run of solar/lunar images and perform the following operations in one go:

* Centre the solar/lunar disc in each image (Helps Registax do its alignment).

* Crop each image around the disc (Reducing file sizes).

* Convert from colour to monochrome (further reducing file size to a 1/3rd).

* Reorder the images in brightness order (this puts all cloud affected images to the end of the list ready to be deleted).

* Save the images in 16-bit TIFF format ready for stacking.

Registax handles these images so much better than the original Canon RAW files allowing more images to be stacked with reduced processing times and less crashes.

Cheers,

Chris

Archived