NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stargazing at Kielder

mickyjd

Hi Everyone

I am thinking about driving up to Kielder for the dark skies however i don't want to go to a camp site as i'm just going up for the night. My question is does anyone know where would be the best place to just park the car and do some observing, and depending on the conditions if need be pitch a tent for the night.

Thanks

Mick

Hi Mick

The Elf Kirk car park just a mile or so on from the dam on South side of the road is the car park that is recommended on here. I plan on using this myself during the autumn / winter. Not sure how suitable for a tent, so may have to grab some sleep in the car.

It might be possible to camp near the road between Kielder Village and Saughtree, it is quite a while since I have driven / cycled down this stretch but it might be feasible and someone once indicated to me that it was possible. Again this is something I might plan to do and expect to reci the area next time I am up there.

Then of course - if there is space left there is also the Autumn (October) star camp at £11 per night.

Every so often I sometimes get use of a friends cottage at Donklywood (on the approach to Kielder near Falston).

Hi,

Its illegal to ruff camp anywhere in england , Scotland allow it. In most cases unless you are causing a nuisance your not going to get reported.

Paul

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Yep the roughing it bit does in principle apply to 'wild camping' near a road side. However I think that if you are discrete in quite remote border country which this is, it should be fine. I do quite a bit of wild camping on both sides of the border and have not had a problem, but of course as mentioned the rule of thumb is being discrete.

Thanks for the reply's guys obviously i'm not going to be making a noise or doing anything to upset any locals that might be in the area so if i can find a nice quiet spot where i can set up and stay the night that would be great. I'll post on here after i've been up and let you know how i get on.

Mick

Archived