Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What size do I chose for my 'wide' eyepiece?

Guys, I need a bit of advice,

At the moment I have a Heritage 130p with a 650mm focal length and a GSO 32mm eyepiece which gives me 20x magnification.

However I see that most people with a 200p or similar use a 32mm as their wide eyepiece which give them 38x.

Is using a 32mm in a Heritage giving me too low a magnification, would something like a 20mm giving 32x be better?

Or, am I thinking too much and getting it wrong again?

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

Your 32mm will be showing more sky (wider field of view) than those using the same eyepiece in a longer focal length scope like the 200P. Stick with it - it's as "wide" as you can get with your scope.

You can't compared a 130p with 200p so as Capricorn says get what works for you. Best thing to do is slowly buy/borrow a few different options and find out what you like.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

What they have doesn't really matter. Its what works for you and what your budget allows. If you want greater mag then I would find someone that would let you borrow theirs and test it out on your scope. But increasing mag does decrease the FOV so it's a give and take and you got to decide what you want. Also your scope is different than theirs so an eyepiece that works well in their scope might not work as good in yours.

I have a 150p newt and my lowest EP is a 24mm 68 degree ES which works fab for me. I've not gone to longer focal lengths than this as most longer focal lengths often have a 2 inch barrel.. I was reluctant to go up to 2 inch as my filters are all 1.25 inch.

As stated above - what works for you is fine. :grin:

I have a 130 Heritage and get some great views with my gso 32mm. having said that, sometimes when the sky is light (moon or light pollution) I find the 25mm better. confused yet? sorry

Scott

Archived