Im looking for some advice on buying some cheap binoculars

I have been reading up and think I need some 10x50's but as for the rest of the stats like Prism type, field of view, coated optics…etc I could do with some advice, or even better some links for ones to buy :smiley:

I’ll mainly be using them for scanning the sky to help navigate my telescope but also to entertain the kids with looking at the moon and constellations. I would like to keep the price down to a minimum and if possible under £50

I found these “Celestron UpClose 10x50 - Porro Binocular” for £18 but im guessing are too good to be true and useless for astronomy?

To ne honest, and i have no basis for comparison but i had a pair of them binoculars and they worked fine for me, for the price as well you cant go wrong. At the moment, im using some that cost less than that off fleabay that i have had for about 7 years and they work fine as well. They are probably not as good as looking through something costing £100+ but to im happy enough with them.

If you dont mind me asking, where did you see them for £18? Quite tempted to get a pair myself as the ones im using have seen better days.

Lidl's often have that size of bino on their shelves from time to time at around £15 each. It's worth actually getting them out of the box before taking them home to make sure you haven't picked up a duff pair but if you're on a budget they are certainly good enough for what you want them for and at that price it doesn't matter if the kids drop them or stand on them (.....I've done both!! :grin: :grin: )

James

I've heard the UpClose are good for the money from a number of people on here, plus FLO stock them and I don't think they would stock them if they were bad for the money.

Avoid the Visionary classics which are about the same money, both the optical aberrations and the poor qaulity focuser make them unusable for astronomy.

I know you want 10x50 but I can wholeheartedly recommend the Opticron 8x40 Asherics which retail for about 70 pounds, however, they often appear on Ebay, got mine for 26 quid and both the optical and mechanical quality are fantastic.

I've also got some vintage 10x50's very cheap off Ebay that stand up very well to the Opticrons, bins weren't made to a price back then I've heard :D

Chris

From what I've heard the Celestron UpClose can be hit-and-miss, quality control's an issue with cheap binoculars. I have a Bresser pair, Meade do the same model under their own badge and they're the ones that sometimes show up at Lidl. They're OK but far from flawless.

If you really do want cheap binocs - follow James's advice. I have the Liddl 10x50's and they're smashing for looking at the moon, planets, clusters (open and closed), doubles, some nebs, and pretty much anything fuzzy. They're fully multi coated porro prisms with non slip grips and adjustable right diopter. Can't go wrong at circa £15 and they give very similar performance to an £85 set. Plus you get a 30 day no quibble exchange or refund guarantee.

The only downside is some of them do require a collimation tweak - but it's no prob cos you just take them back and choose another pair till you get a set that are well collimated. There's a little cromatic abberation but nothing more than any other set under £100 (eg the Celestron 15x70's which I have compared with). It's academic really :)

To ne honest, and i have no basis for comparison but i had a pair of them binoculars and they worked fine for me, for the price as well you cant go wrong. At the moment, im using some that cost less than that off fleabay that i have had for about 7 years and they work fine as well. They are probably not as good as looking through something costing £100+ but to im happy enough with them.

If you dont mind me asking, where did you see them for £18? Quite tempted to get a pair myself as the ones im using have seen better days.

I found the Celestrons at 365Astronomy for £18 with £4.80 Delivery

Archived