Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Live view with Phillips spc cam

Looking to set up my scope so i can view inside on my pc, had a "play" today with the scope looking at the top of the 2nd severn bridge via my Phillips spc cam on the pc via Sharpcap.

It all seemed to work very well, but i did have to remove the filter from the cam, the image was ok and can see enough detail, but this was of course in daylight, so would it work ok in the dark? i.e to see clusters, nebula etc, i understand the image wont be as good as in the EP but it should give some detail.

Also am i correct in thinking the Phillips cam is about the same as an 6mm EP?

Looking to set up my scope so i can view inside on my pc, had a "play" today with the scope looking at the top of the 2nd severn bridge via my Phillips spc cam on the pc via Sharpcap.

It all seemed to work very well, but i did have to remove the filter from the cam, the image was ok and can see enough detail, but this was of course in daylight, so would it work ok in the dark? i.e to see clusters, nebula etc, i understand the image wont be as good as in the EP but it should give some detail.

Also am i correct in thinking the Phillips cam is about the same as an 6mm EP?

You may be disappointed with the image, the SPC900 isn't sensitive enough to view dim objects. such as nebulae.

Peter

It is said that the image size from the SPC900 is about the same as a 6mm EP, but the more I think about that the less I understand what it might mean in terms that are genuinely useful.

Peter is absolutely right about using the camera for clusters and nebulae. If it's just been modified by putting a nosepiece on it then it's fine for planetary imaging and it can pick up brighter stars, but that's about it.

However, it is possible to modify the camera so it can take arbitrarily long exposures and then it can be used to image some clusters and nebulae. I modified one of mine and have only had time for a brief play with it as yet, but found M13 was not hard to capture; M31 wasn't hard, but I failed to get the exposure right, and M27 was very difficult.

I'd suggest that planetary and lunar imaging are a much better place to start with it to get the hang of using it even if you do plan to modify it and try some DSO imaging.

James

Archived