Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Condensation and obsy 'sheds'

earth titan

I found that on very cold frosty nights a layer of frost can settle on surfaces and remain there after the roof has been closed.

I then turn to my trusty ELA DD822 Dehumidifier for a few hours to dry things out.

You'll be suprised how much moisture gets into the timbers and the mount/scope.

I then turn to my trusty ELA DD822 Dehumidifier for a few hours to dry things out.

You'll be suprised how much moisture gets into the timbers and the mount/scope.

I did wonder if this might be an idea for after a session.

Might have to look into one.

Hi,

Up to now, I have stored my CG5 GOTO mount, optical tube, CCD, electronic focuser, etc in a small timber shed in the garden. During the Winter, how bad would it be if I put these away when covered in condesation, especially the electronics? I thought about one of those humidity absorbers that uses crystals, putting all my eyepices, the CCD, etc in airtight tupperware boxes with silica gel packs and cutting small holes in the shed to ensure a cross air flow. However, I do not know what to do with the GOTO mount (full of electronics) as it is quite large. What do other people do?

Bill

Water condenses on cold objects, specifically objects which are colder than the air. Is the best thing that can be done to gently warm the objects? I.e. have a small IR source in the shed to warm the structure and things in the shed, and not the air. There are plenty of low wattage IR sources around, mostly used for reptile houses.

Hi,

Up to now, I have stored my CG5 GOTO mount, optical tube, CCD, electronic focuser, etc in a small timber shed in the garden. During the Winter, how bad would it be if I put these away when covered in condesation, especially the electronics? I thought about one of those humidity absorbers that uses crystals, putting all my eyepices, the CCD, etc in airtight tupperware boxes with silica gel packs and cutting small holes in the shed to ensure a cross air flow. However, I do not know what to do with the GOTO mount (full of electronics) as it is quite large. What do other people do?

Bill

I wouldn't put anything away that was wet. I normally dab down all the scope and mount with Terry towelling to get the worst off.

I then throw an old cotton bed sheet over everything, leaving the covers off the lenses. During the day everything gets checked and any water marks on lens surfaces removed.

Archived