Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can anyone recommend a good set of binoculars?

Hi All

I bought a telescope about a year ago but I've never got round to buying some binoculars. Now I know this is not the correct order to buy things, but buying the next new item for my telescope always seemed more important than getting the binos.

I'm going on holiday soon to Cuba and I think it's time I finally bought a pair. Ideally I'd like to take a telescope but mine is way too big.

What would you recommend as a decent pair of binos? My price range is anything below £120 and I would be happy to go second hand. A concern of mine is that I won't be able to hold them steady enough to get a good look at anything. Is it worth buying a bino stand? if so, what type?

I am grateful for any suggestions.

Cheers

Chris

Hi there, get some celstron sky- masters 15x70 they really are sharp and clear bak 4 i think and pull in stars well, with the wow factor, a little heavy though. i paid £60 for mine had them a while now. good for aircraft and birds etc.

I would strongly recommend a 10x50 or, if you are concerned about your ability to hold it steady, and 8x40. If you can stretch your budget a bit, this is a really good buy:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/pentax-porroprism/pentax-10x50-pcf-wp-ii.html

If your budget is not flexible, then your best option is probably:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/helios/helios-naturesport-plus.html

Are you taking 2 sets ?

I would have thought that a pair for normal use around Cuba would have been of primary importance, then a set for looking at the sky. You are I assume going on a "normal" holiday afterall.

I use the standard birding variety, 8x42's and they work for everything, astro included. Also 15x tend to need a tripod to give them stability.

As you were considering second hand, these are pretty good this is the pair opticron tga 10x50 new £175

First Light Optics - Opticron Imagic TGA WP Porro Prism

Sherwoods have a demo version of the older model for £85 about two thirds down the page imagic tga 10x50

Ex Demo Binoculars & Spotting scopes - Nearly new optcs at second user price

andrew

Archived