Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

my observatory is finished

The Viper

Spent the summer months building a ROR observatory,the wife gave me one rule no cementing posts in the garden,so i mounted the back support on 100mm castors and ran a rail 1" under the soil.(cant be seen in the pictures)The usual turnbuckles to secure the roof,pond liner to cover the gap.Been up now 1 month and we had a downpour that Noah wouldn't believe last week and everything inside was bone dry.Well pleased,the other shed is my warm room,usb extension cable links me to the observatory,and im not freezing anymore.Hopefully will be spending more time under the stars than ever before.

post-14092-0-76399300-1344804780_thumb.j

post-14092-0-18494300-1344804833_thumb.j

post-14092-0-80213800-1344804910_thumb.j

Well done :) Really finished? Mine has been in full use for months now but it isn't actually finished and I wonder if it ever will be completely finished :D

Nice obsy, I do have one observation though:

Well pleased,the other shed is my warm room,usb extension cable links me to the observatory,and im not freezing anymore.Hopefully will be spending more time under the stars than ever before.

Does being in a warm room count as being "under the stars"?

Nice obsy, I do have one observation though:

Does being in a warm room count as being "under the stars"?

Yes - When I get my obsy built later this year my warm room will be just that (conservatory at the rear of the house - complete with sofa and desk) it has glass walls I can see out..... :grin:

Nice build - enjoy

Good one, and what a joy it is not to have to set up. You'll love it.

Just one thought; why have the warm room a dstance away? Mine is under the roll off part of the main observatory.

As for finished, I have four here and I can't honestly say that any one of them is really finished!

Olly

The reason for the warm room being so far away is the warm room was my shed originally that i cleared and sheeted the walls.The pier was already in place in the best position in my garden so i built around that.OK fair enough there are loads of things i still want to do,should have said my obervatory is operational(BUT DON'T TELL THE WIFE).I know i wont be under the stars when in the warm room but i still use my 200p on eq5 with the tripod for visual but this is getting less and less.On the whole well pleased and hope it serves me well.

Looks good.

I'm thinking about how to build mine, and like your wife, I am wanting to avoid posts sticking up 8 feet away from the shed. A dome would be great, but difficult (expensive) to automate the rotation to allow night long imaging and a Pod obscures the zenith (is this a problem). I'm not looking forward to taking the patio up and digging a 50m trench for the electrics though either way. I think I might hire a trencher.

I like your solution - be grateful of a closeup of the track in the grass.

My warm room will be the house.

Think I might try and bring the legs right in so they are at the side of the shed, rather than beyond it, when the roof is parked. Could even do this with legs/wheels at all four corners and just have guide rails on the top of the actual shed without wheels.

Anyway, thanks for the inspiration.

I have just finished putting a path between warm room and obsy.Got clear skies forcast so i have a date with the dumbell.The rail in the grass is just s sunken baton of wood altough the first two i got were warped pretty bad,with a aluminium angle iron screwed ontop of.I sunk it all because the kids may trip over,i guessed over time the wheels would cut a rut in the grass and i sunk the rail at a slight angle to keep the roof parallel at all times.It works well (fingers crossed it lasts).It feels so goodhaving it built the hardest part for me was actually taking the plunge and starting,i had been mentally killing myself for 6 months over the design and settled for this.The great thing is everyone has diffrent circumstances surrounding their own obsy so there is no correct way to build one.Took alot from i believe was Gina's obsy build which really should be an audio book its that long and malcolm answered a few questions i had so thanks to them for the info.

Archived