Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Where have all the P models gone.

Is it me or are the Skywatcher P models being phased out? Browsing FLO "as you do" I noticed that most of the OTA only are mostly DS models now ?? Will the slightly larger secondary on the DS models effect contrast in any way visually ??

I have just had a quick look and the original P models are still there. The DS models seem to be 'in addition' rather than replacements. I would guess customer feedback and sales volume will determine which models stay and which go long term.

A slightly larger secondary is unlikely to be noticeable. A secondary that creates a 20% obstruction by diameter literally is unnoticeable since such a telescope performs as well as an unobstructed instrument if the same aperture. It's not until you exceed 25% or so that it starts to become an issue. Even then, very good planetary views are quite possible. Remember that there are STCs out there with 35% obstructions (!) and their owners seem happy enough. EDIT: Not to say that an obstruction less than 30% wouldn't be better.

I thought the 'P' meant it has a parabolic mirror and that the 'DS' means it is fitted with a dual speed focuser??? A lot of the Skywatchers now seem to be both such as the '130P DS' for example.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I thought the 'P' meant it has a parabolic mirror and that the 'DS' means it is fitted with a dual speed focuser??? A lot of the Skywatchers now seem to be both such as the '130P DS' for example.

You are correct that it refers to the primary being parabolic over spherical but the PDS model as nightfisher points out is said to have a shorter OTA along with a larger secondary more suited to astography. While the "DS" duel speed focuser is a bonus I had my concerns that the slightly larger obstruction might rob planetary views of even further contrast. I started the thread as if it was the case contrast would suffer and the standard P model were to be phased out I was planning to grab one before they are all gone. While I guess a smaller secondary could be put in to the PDS model I also wondered if the secondary shadow would become more obvious due to the primary positioning ???

Thank you to umadog for clearing this concern up for me. :icon_salut:

Archived